- MBBS (1971)
- MD (1974)
- FRCP (Lon)
- FRCP (Edin)
- FCCP, FSLSGP.FIMA (2011)
- FNASSL (2006)
- He is a general medical Specialist and the first to receive modern Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplant as a Specialist
- Dialysis transplantation
Vidyajyothi Professor Rezvi Sheriff is the Immediate Past Director of the Postgraduate Institute of Medicine appointed by the University Grants Commission. He was born on 04-11-1948
Professor Mohamed Hussain Rezvi Sheriff MBBS, MD, MRCP (UK), FRCP (Lon), FRCP (Edin), FRACP, FCCP, FSLCGP, FNASSL, 63 years old Consultant Physician and Nephrologist is presently the Senior Professor of Medicine, and the former Head of the Department of Clinical Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo. His Clinical Services at the National Hospital (Ward 41 and 48) has over 100 beds with access to all services in the 3300 bedded hospital and he is founder consultant Nephrologist of The National Institute of Nephrology, Dialysis & Transplantation
He was awarded Vidyajyothi (Scientific Luminary) National Award for his work in pioneering Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation in Sri Lanka and he also received a Lion International Merit Award. He setup the first transplant programme in the country in October 1985 and nearly 1000 transplants have been done so far under his supervision. His Private centre has now done over 100,000 dialysis experiences. He has worked hard to develop the National Institute of Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplant (NINDT) at Maligawatta, Colombo 10
He has over 200 research communications and publications in Nephrology, Transplantation, Snake Bite and Oleander Poisoning and responsible for clinical training of many Postgraduates including many reading for M Phil and PhD
He is a Founder Member of SACTRC (South Asian Clinical Toxicology Research Collaboration). He founded the OxCol (University of Oxford Colombo link) for studies on snake bite and yellow oleander poisoning. He was President of Ceylon College of Physicians and Sri Lanka Association for Nephrology and Transplantation. He was the President of the SAARC Society of Nephrology, Urology and Transplant Surgery and the Founder President of the Hypertension Society in Sri Lanka and a founder of the Health Informatics Society in Sri Lanka and its Immediate Past President. In 2007 he was elected as a Councilor in the prestigious International Society of Nephrology. He is a Fellow of the National Academy of Science of Sri Lanka since 2006.
He has received scholarships from Commonwealth Foundation, JICA, WHO for foreign studies.
He was appointed by WHO to collate the “CKDu Literature Repository” to collect all research done so far up to mid 2012 on the North Central Region Kidney Disease.
He is also the Founder Chairman of Western Infirmary Hospital a centre well known for Renal disease care, Dialysis & Transplantation. He is also committed social worker, Community leader and strong religious worker.
He is the Immediate Past President of the Sri Lanka Medical Association 2009. Recently he was the top scientist of 30; in a citation based Database over a 10 Year period upto 2011 brings honour to University of Colombo.
Prof. Rezvi Sheriff has made a large contribution to Medicine in Sri Lanka as a Medical Teacher, astute and sought after Clinician, Researcher, Postgraduate Trainer and Examiner, Administrator and has been a Pioneer and Entrepreneur in Medicine, Nephrology Dialysis and Transplantation locally and internationally. He is an External Examiner for MRCP in UK & Chennai. He is the Ceylon College of Physician Coordinator for MRCP Examinations in Sri Lanka.
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
- His Excellency late R. Premadasa nominated Prof. R. Sheriff for the National Award VIDYAJYOTHI (Scientific Luminary) which he received in 1993§ He was also awarded Lions Gold Medal for the MOST OUTSTANDING CITIZEN’S AWARD IN MEDICINE FOR 1989
- He has received various prizes as awards for the Renal presentations at the SLMA/ CCP sessions.
- He has been awarded Fellowship by the fellowship bodies listed below
- NASSL FELLOW 2006 - National Academy of Sciences of Sri Lanka
- JICA FELLOW 1979 - Advanced Renal Failure Training in Japan
- WHO FELLOW 1980 - Medical Education and Advanced Medicine Training in U.S.A
- COMMONWEALTH FELLOWSHIP 1989 - Post Doctoral Research UK University of oxford,
- PRESIDENTIAL RESEARCH AWARDS – 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 & 2003
- UNIVERSITY OF COLOMBO AWARD FOR -EXCELLENCE IN RESEARCH 1999 & 2000
- NOMINATED FOR A FELLOWSHIP OF THE NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL IN YEAR 2005
- PRESIDENTIAL RESEARCH AWARDS - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Late Professor Kumaradasa Rajasuriya Oration, 1998 “Organ Failure…. From Misery to Excellence”Sheriff MHR, Waruna Gunatillake, Senaka Rajapakse, Sita Nanayakkara, Wijaya Ransi, Rushika Lanerolle, Shyam Fernando, Mandika Wijeratne, Chandrika Wijeratna, A H Sheriffdeen ,CCPJ, 2000,33, 14-19
- THE PRESTEGIOUS SLMA ORATION awarded in 1999 – “Yellow Oleander Poisoning – in search of an antidote”. Delivered in Kandy
- AMA AZEEZ ORATION on Health of Sri Lankan Muslims – December 2005.
- ACE Koch Oration on Kidney Function Tests in Clinical practice & research quantitative fallacy? – 21stNovember 2011
- Undergraduate - From 1973 onwards to date
- Postgraduate - From 1979 onwards to date
Professional / Sore mental Committee work
University of Colombo 1973 – to date… 39 years
Channel Practice at Western Infirmary / Lanka Hospital / Durdens Hospital / Nawaloka Hospital/ The Central Hospital / Asiri Hospital
I have supervised M. Phil & PhD Projects of Many University
- Reversion of dysfunction of the sino-atrialnode following valvotomy in patient with mitral stenosis. Nimalasuriya A., Sheriff M.H.R., CMJ September 1977 p. 136-7
- Is azathioprine necessary in Renal Transplantation? Sheriff M.H.R., Yahya T., Lee H.A., Lancet Jan.1978
- Successful pregnancy in a 44 year old haemodialysis patient. Sheriff M.H.R., Hardman M., Lamont C.A.R., Shepherd R., Warren D.J., British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology May 1978. V85, p386-389.
- Effects of atenolol and chlorthalidone and a new combined preparation on blood pressure and total body potassium. Sheriff M.H.R. , Howard O. , Warren D.J. , Acta Therapeutica, 4, 1978 p51-62
- Nutritional blood flow to limbs after access procedures. Sheriff M.H.R. , Naik R.B. , Warren D.J. , Proceedings of the EDTA Vol.15, 1978, P117-121
- Paget’s disease of bone with congestive cardiac failure. Mendis B.L.J., Senaratne M.P.J., imalasuriya A, Sheriff M.H.R., Dharmadasa K. ,CMJ , 1980, 25, p39-40. ASIAN MANUAL OF NEPHROLOGY Chapter on “Community Screening in Kidney Disease” Sheriff MHR. Published in Tokyo ( Seamic & IMFJ ) , 1981 p 159-169.
- Medullary sponge kidney and congenital hemihypertrophy of the body. Mendis B.L.J. , Ekanayake R.A.I. , Sheriff M.H.R. ,Dharmadasa K., Ceylon Medical Journal Vol 26, December 1981.
- Lesson to learn from my Maldivian experience with the Shigella dysentery. Sheriff M.H.R. ,Sri Lanka Family Physician, Vol. 5, September 1982 p117-120
- Irritable bowel syndrome. Mendis B.L.J. , Wijesiriwardene B.C. , Sheriff M.H.R. ,Dharmadasa K. ,
- Ceylon Medical Journal, 27, December 1982 p171-181
- Pernicious anaemia – A case report. Wijesiriwardene B.C., De Silva H.J. , Jayasinghe K.S.A. , Sheriff M.H.R. , Dharmadasa K. CMJ 28, 1983, p53-56.
- Treatment of oral candidosis with ketoconazole an orally absorbed broad spectrum antifungal agent. Atukorale S.D. , Casinader M.S. , Renganathan S. , Sheriff M.H.R. Clinical Research Reviews 1983 p l-3.
- Contaminated opium as a source of chronic arsenic poisoning in Sri Lanka. Jayasinghe K.S.A. , Misbah S.A. , Soosainathan S. Canagasunderam A. , De Silva D., Sheriff M.H.R. , Dharmadasa K.CMJ, 1983,28,p22-27
- Hepatic granuloma in pyrexia of unknown origin in Sri Lanka. De Mel W C P, Sheriff M H R , Dharmadasa K, CCPJ 1983.
- Hyperparathyrodism with a giant parathyroid tumour with capsular infiltration. De Mel W C P ,Sheriff M H R, Sheriffdeen A H. Sri Lanka Family Physician, September 1983.
- Renal disease due to snakebite and its management. Sheriff M H R CMJ, 1983, 28, P190 – 198
- Medullary sponge kidney presenting with hypokalaemic paralysis. Jayasinghe K S A, Mendis B L J, Mohideen R, Ekanayake R, Sheriff M H R , Dharmadasa K, Postgraduate Medical Journal, April 1984, p 303-304.
- Rebound phenomenon following peritoneal dialysis for lithium poisoning. De Mel W.C.P., Lankachandra B. Sheriff M.H.R., Dharmadasa K. Bangladesh Renal Journal V3, N 1, June 1984.
- Peritoneal dialysis for lithium poisoning. De Mel W.C.P., Lankachandra B., Sheriff M.H.R.,Dharmadasa K. Bangaladesh Renal Journal V3N2, December 1984. P1-4.
- Alkaptonuria. Jayasinghe K.S.A., Wijesiriwardene B.C., Sivaraman V, Sheriff M.H.R., Dharmadasa K. CMJ, V2a N3, September 1984, p159-161.
- Aminoglycosides in advanced renal failure. Athukorale S.D., Sheriff M.H.R. , CMJ, V29 N2, June 1984, p101-103.
- A follow-up study of Sri Lanka membrano proliferative glomerulonephrits on a cocktail of dipyridamole, cyclophosphamide and warfarin. De Mel W.C.P., Sheriff M.H.R. , Bangladesh Renal Journal, V4, N2, December 1985.
- A patient with patchy cortical necrosis following viper bite. De Mel W. C. P., Sheriff M.H.R. , Sri Lanka Family Physician, 1985,V8, p37-38.
- Effect of supplementation on iron status of geriatric subjects. Athukorale T.M.S., Sheriff M.H.R. ,CMJ, 1986, 31, p15-20.
- Some recent thinking in the management of infections and parasitic diseases. Sheriff M.H.R. Sri Lanka Family Physician, 1986, V9, p63-69.
- Effect of Mimordical Charantias on the glucose tolerance in maturity onset diabetes. Sheriff MHR, Welihinda J, et al Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 17, (1986) p 277-18227. Special techniques for elimination of poisons diuresis, dialysis and adsorption. Sheriff MHR C.M.J. , Vol. 31, No .2, June 86, p83.
- The first kidney transplantation in Sri Lanka Sheriff M.H.R., Sheriffdeen A.H. , Jayasekare Geri, et al CMJ, 1987 V32, p15-27.
- Nutritional status of institutionalized elderly with special reference of iron. Athukorale T. M. S, Pushpa Ranjani L.P. , Sheriff M.H.R. Ceylon Journal of Medical Science, 1988 No 1, p7-17.
- Current treatment of glomerulonephritis. Sheriff MHR . CCPJ, 1991, V24, p7-13.
- Early detection of acute renal failure in M mode duplex Doppler ultrasound. I mastarakou, D Lindsey, Sheriff MHR and J Ledingham British Journal of Radiology July 1991 –P 656.32. Introduction of Ponticelli regimen in SriLanka for idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Anpalahan M, Sheriff M.H.R. , CCPJ, 1992, 25, p39-42.
- National health policy Sheriff M.H.R., CCPJ, 1992, 25, p26-30.
- Living related donor kidney transplantation in Sri Lanka, Sheriff MHR, De Abrew K, Jayasekara G, Fernando R, Attygalla GM, Nanayakkara S, De Mel CP, Jayasinghe S, Ransi W, Peiris A, Mahamitha U, Anpalahan M, Rajapakse L, Sheriffdeen AH. (Transplantation Proceedings, October 1992).
- National health policy Sheriff MHR, Tenekoon, Jeganathan & U Susantha De Silva. Abridged Version March 1993, Colombo.
- Systemic lupus erythematosis – renal involvement and disease activity. Angunawella P, Jayawickrema S.R. , Sheriff MHR, CCPJ, 1993, 26, p45-48
- Suspected adverse drug reactions. Sheriff M.H.R., CCPJ 1993.
- Acute Interstitial nephritis associated with Ayurvedic treatment – Case Report. Anpalahan M, Seneviratne Epa, Sheriff M.H.R. CCPJ, 1993,26, p51-52.
- The quality of function of renal allografts is associated with donor age. Higgins R.M. , Sheriff M.H.R. , Bittar A.E., Richardson A.J., Ratcliffe P.J., Gray D.W.R., Morris P.J. Transplant Intl. 1995;8(3):221-5
- Sulphadoxim-pyrimethamine and chloroquine resistant Plasmodium falciparum infection in Sri Lanka, Handunnetti S, Jayasinghe S, Pathirana PPSL, Fernado R, Sheriff MHR, Mendis KN. CMJ, 1994, 39, 45-46.
- Critical care medicine Fernando D.J.S., Abrew K, Sheriff M.H.R. Ceylon College of Physicians 1995 Colombo Sri Lanka.
- The quality of function of renal allografts is associated with donor age. Higgins RM, Sheriff MHR, Bittar AA, Richardson AJ, Radcliffe PJ, Gray DW, Morris PJ.
- Postrenal transplant diabetes in Sri Lanka. Lanerolle R.D., Abrew K, Fernando D.J.S., Sheriff M.H.R. Transplantation Proceedings 1996 28,3,1945-47
- Acute peritoneal dialysis in the National Hospital of Sri Lanka study of complications. Kamani Wanigasuriya, lukman Hakeem, S D Atukorala, Jennifer Perera, Sheriff MHR. CCPJ, 1996:29:23-26
- Heart rate variability in diabetic autonomic neuropathy, S H Siribaddana, A C Suranimala, Sheriff MHR, D J S Fernando, CCPJ, 1996:29: 26-28.
- The clinical features of cushings syndrome presenting to a Sri Lankan endocrine clinic. Indrakumar J, D J S Fernando, S H Siribadana, U C L Hewage, Sheriff MHR, CCPJ, 1996:29:36-37
- New issues in postgraduate medical education, Editorial, Sheriff MHR, CCPJ, 1996:29:45-46.
- Lupus nephritis in Sri Lankan patients, Sheriff MHR, Preethika Angunwela, CCPJ, 1996:29:71-74.
- Prolonged clearance of microfilaremia in patients with bancroftian filariasis after multiple high doses of ivermectin or diethylcarbamazine Ismail MW, Well GJ, Jayasinghe KSA, Premaratne UN, Abeywickreme W, Rajaratnam HN, Sheriff MHR, Perera CS, Dissanaike AS Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1996, Vol 90, Iss 6, 684-6
- Living related donor kidney transplantation in Sri Lanka. Sheriff MHR, K de Abrew, G Jayasekara, R Fernando, G M Attygalla, S Nanayakkara, C P De Mel, S Jayasinghe, W Ransi, A Peiris, U Mahamitha, M Anapalahan, L Rajapakshe and A H Sheriffdeen. Transplantation Proceedings Vol 24 No. 5 Oct 1997 p1816-17.
- Patient mixed biphasic insulin in a diabetic clinic R D Lanerolle, K De Abrew, D J S Fernando,Sheriff MHR CMJ, 1997, 42: 137 – 138.
- Changes in the MD Medicine examination, Editorial. Sheriff MHR CCPJ, 1997:30:1
- Macrovascular diseases in post kidney transplant patients in Sri Lanka. Sheriff MHR, Lanerolle Rushika, Nanayakkara Sita, Fernando Devaka and Rajapakse Senaka, Jayasekare Geri, Sheriffdeen Haleem Faculty of Medicine Kidney Transplant Programme and National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo. CMJ 1997 V42 78-80
- Efficacy of single dose combinations of albendazole, ivermectin and diethylcarbamazine for the treatment of bancroftian filariasis. M M Ismail, R L Jayakody, G. J. Weil, N. Nirmalan, K. S. A. Jayasinghe, W. Abeyewickrema, Sheriff MHR, H. N. Rajaratnam, N. Amarasekera, D. C. L. De Silva, M. L. Michalski and A. S. Dissanaike Transactions of the Royal Society of Topical Medicine and Hygiene 1998,Vol 92,Iss 1, 94-97
- 1998-a leap year for Nephrology, Editorial Sheriff MHR CCPJ, 1998:31:1
- Survival of a patient following moderate to severe paraquat poisoning, R J Gray, Sheriff MHRCCPJ, 1998:31:62-64
- Spot urine tests for proteinuria: are they accurate J Kudalugoda Arachchi, A P Malalasekera, G M Premaratne, R D Lanerolle, Sheriff MHR CCPJ, 1998:31:46-55
- Deliberate self-harm in Sri Lanka – an overlooked tragedy in the developing world Eddleston M,Sheriff MHR, Hawton K British Medical Journal 1998, Vol 317, Iss 7151, 133-135
- A new monospecific ovine fab fragment antivenom for treatment of envenoming by the Sri Lankan russells viper (Daboia-Russelii-Russelii) – A preliminary dose finding and pharmacokinetic study Ariaratnam CA, Meyer WP, Perera G, Eddleston M, Kuleratne SAM, Attapattu W, Sheriff MHR, Richards AM, Theakston RDG, Warrell DA American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1999, Vol 61, Iss 2, 259-265
- Epidemic of self poisoning with seeds of the yellow oleander tree (Thevetia Peruviana) in Northern Sri Lanka. Eddleston M, Ariaratnam CA, Meyer WP, Perera G, Kularatne AM, Attapattu S, Sheriff MHR, Warreell DA Tropical Medicine & International Health 1999, Vol 4, Iss 4, 266-273
- Pregnancy following renal transplantation in Sri Lanka. International Congress 1997 September Colombo “Reproductive Health – the way forward” Wijerathna C N, Senavirathna H R, Sheriff M H R, Sheriffdeen A H CMJ 2000 December 45 (4) 168-170
- Acute yellow oleander (Thevetia peruviana) poisoning: cardiac arrhythmias, electrolyte disturbances, and serum cardiac glycoside concentrations on presentation to hospital. M Eddleston, CA Ariaratnam, L Sjostrom, S Jayalath, K Rajakanthan, S Rajapakse, D Colbert, WP Meyer, G Perera, S Atapattu, SAM Kularatne, Sheriff MHR, DA Warrell Heart 2000, Vol 83, Iss 3, 301-6
- Early studies using the IPCS Intox data sheets in poison information at the National Hospital, Sri Lanka Sheriff MHR, CA Ariaratnam, HD Shoromani Nissanka, KRN Sandanayake, JSPJ Fernando & R Fernando CCPJ, 2000, 33, 130-134.
- Guidelines for the management of yellow oleander poisoning (with special reference to the use of Kaneru tab) developed by, Senaka Rajapakse, R Rajakantha, H Ariyasena, S Mangaleshwaran, W Atapattu, Ariaranee Ariarathnam, Sheriff MHR for Department of Clinical Medicine – Kaneru Poisoning Research Group. CCPJ, 2000,33,145-148.
- Anti- digoxin Fab fragments in cardiotoxicity induced by ingestion of yellow oleander: a randomized controlled trial. M Eddleston, S Rajapakese, K Rajakanthan, S Jayalath, L Sjostrom, W Santaraj, PN Thenabadu, Sheriff MHR, D A Warrell. The Lancet 2000, Vol 355, Iss 9208, 967-72
- Late Professor Kumaradasa Rajasuriya Oration 1998 “Organ Failure…. From Misery to Excellence” Sheriff MHR, Waruna Gunatillake, Senaka Rajapakse, Sita Nanayakkara, Wijaya Ransi, Rushika Lanerolle, Shyam Fernando, Mandika Wijeratne, Chandrika Wijeratna, A H SheriffdeenCCPJ, 2000,33, 14-19.
- An open randomized comparative trial of two antivenoms for the treatment of envenoming by Sri Lankan Russell’s Viper (Daboia russelli russelli). CA Ariaratnam, L Sjostrom, Z Raziek, S Abeysinghe, M Kularatne, RWK Kodikara Arachchi, Sheriff MHR, RDG Theakestone, DA WarrelTransactions of the Royal Society Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2001, Vol 95, Iss 1, 74-80
- Bilateral cortical necrosis following humped nose viper bite. CA Ariaratnam, APT Chang, KSA Jayasinghe, Sheriff MHR. CCPJ, 2001; 34: 35
- Post transplant diabetes in Sri Lanka Ariaratnam CA, Lanerolle RD, Saranapala DMMK, Nanayakkara LSH, Sheriff MHR. Journal of Japanese Society of Dialysis Therapy 2001; 34(s1): 644
- A patient presenting with features of progressive multifocal leucoencephalopathy in HIV/AIDS Dr APT Chang, Jayasinghe S, Rajapakse S, Sheriff MHR, CM J 2001; 46: 153 – 154
- Diabetes guidelines of Sri Lanka – co contributor Sheriff MHR, Devaka Fernando et al CCP 2001
- Sri Lanka hypertension guidelines – co-contributor Sheriff MHR, Seneviratne Epa et al Sri Lanka Hypertension Society, SLMA, CCP, SLCGP, SLPA 2002
- Antibodies to hepatitis C virus in patients with chronic renal diseases in Sri Lanka. Fernando S, Fernando SS, Sheriff MHR, Vitarana UT Transplant Proceedings. 2002 Dec; 34(8): 3087-90
- Antibodies to hepatitis C virus in patients who have had multiple transfusions in Sri Lanka. Fernando S, Fernando SS, Sheriff MHR, Vitarana UT. CMJ 2002 Dec; 34(8): 3087-90
- Pesticide poisoning in the developing world – a minimum pesticide list. Eddleston M, Karalliedde L, Buckley N, Fernando R, Hutchison G, Isbister G, Konradsen F, Murray D, Piola JC, Senanayake N,Sheriff MHR, Singh S, Siwach SB, Smith L. Lancet 2002 Oct 12; 360(9340): 1163-7
- General surgical problems in renal transplant population in Sri Lanka. Sheriffdeen AH, Sheriff MHR, Jayasekara GJ, Saranapala MK. Transplant Proceedings. 2002 Sep; 34(6): 2438-9
- Post- kidney transplantation diabetes in Sri Lanka. Sheriff MHR, Lanerolle RD, Saranapala DM, Abeygunasekera SC, Nazar AL, Nanayakkara LS, Sheriffdeen AH. Transplant Proceedings. 2002 Sep; 34(6): 2418.
- Severe propanil [N-(3,4-dichlorophenyl) propanamide ] pesticide self- poisoning. Eddleston M, Rajapakshe M, Roberts D, Reginald K, Sheriff MHR, Dissanayake W, Buckley N, J Tox Clin Tox2002; 40 (7): 847-854.
- Influence of pesticide regulation on acute poisoning deaths in Sri Lanka. Roberts D, Karunarathna A, Buckley N, Manuweera G, Sheriff MHR, Eddleston M. Bull WHO 2003; 81: 1656.
- Deaths due to absence of an affordable antitoxin for plant poisoning Michael Eddleston, Lalith senarathna, Fahim Mohamed, Nick Buckley, Edmund Juszczak, MH Rezvi Sheriff, Ariaranee Ariaratnam, Senaka rajapakse, David Warrell, K Rajakanthan The Lancet, Vol 362, September 27,2003, 1041-44
- Refractory status epilepticus following self-poisoning with the organochlorine pesticide endosulfan. Roberts DM, Dissanayake W, Sheriff MHR, Eddleston M. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience August 2004
- Plasma homocysteine in polycystic ovary syndrome: does it correlate with insulin resistance and ethnicity? Chandrika N. wijeyaratne Departments of Obsterics and Gynaecology, K. Nirantharakumar Departments of Obsterics and Gynaecology, Adam H. Balen, Julian H. Barth,Sheriff MHR Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka and Paul E. Belchetz The General Infirmary at Leeds, UK Clinical Endocrinology (2004) 60, 560-567
- Acute human self poisoning with the N-Phenylpyrazole insecticide Fipronil – a GABA A -Gated Chloride Channel Blocker Fahim Mohamed, Lalith Senarathna, Adrain Percy, Manel Abeywardena, Geoffrey Eaglesham, Ron Cheng, Shifa Azher, Ariyasena Hittarage, Wasantha Dissanayake, Sheriff MHR, Willie Davies, Nick A. Buckley, Michael Eddleston Journal of Toxicology CLINICAL TOXICOLOGY v 42 No 7 p 955-963 2004
- Speed of initial atropinisation in significant organophosphorus pesticide poisoning – A systematic comparison of recommended regimens. Michale Eddleston, Nick A. Buckley, Helaina Checketts, Lalith Senarathna, Fahim Muhamed, Sheriff MHR, Andrew Dawson Journal of Toxicology CLINICAL TOXICOLOGY v 42 No 6 p865-875 2004
- Religious Beliefs and Organ Transplantation Rezvi Sheriff, Haniffa MR, Rikaz Sheriff, Habeeba Sheriff Mich 60th Year Souvenir Publication 2004
- Colombo Medical Students provide Tsunami Relief in rural Sri Lanka College Commentary Bull. RCPL January/ February 2005 p 7-8
- Health of Sri Lankan Muslims Sheriff MHR, Aroona Abdulla, Asfir EL M. A. Azeez Oration - 24thNovember 2005
- International educational partnerships for doctors in training: a collaborative framework with the RCP George A Thomson, Matthew Foster, Rezvi Sheriff, Lalitha Mendis, Devaka JS Fernando, Caroline Blundell, Jeffrey Worrall and Carol Black Clinical Medicine, Vol 5 No 2 March/ April 2005
- Differences between organophosphorus insecticides in human self-poisoning: a prospective cohort study Michael Eddleston, Peter Eyer, Franz Worek, Fahim Mohamed, Lalith Senarathna, Ludwig von Meyer, Edmund Juszczak, Ariyasena Hittarage, Shifa Azhar, Wasantha Dissanayake,MH Rizvi Sheriff, Ladislaus Szinicz, Andrew H Dawson, Nick A Buckley Vol 366 October 22, 2005
- Epidemiology of intentional self-poisoning in rural Sri lanka Michael Eddleston, David Gunnell, Ayanthi Karunaratne, Dhammika A De Silva, MH Rezvi Sheriff, Nick A Buckley British Journal of Psychiatry (2005) 187, 583-584
- Patterns of hospital transfer for self-poisoned patients in rural Sri Lanka: implications for estimating the incidence of self-poisoning in the developing world. Michael Eddleston, K udarshan, M. Senthilkumaran, K Reginald, Lakshman Karalliedde, Lalith Senarathna, Dhammika De Silva, Sheriff MHR, Nick A Buckley, David Gunnell Bulletin of the World Health Organization/ April 2006 84 (4) p276-282
- Respiratory failure in Acute Organophosphorus pesticide self – poisoning Michael Eddleston, Fahim Mohamed, James OJ Davies, Peter Eyer, Franz Worek, Sheriff MHR, Nick A Buckley (submitted)
- Choice of Poison for Intentional Self-Poisoning in Rural Sri Lanka Michael Eddleston, Ayanthi Karunaratne, Manjula Weerakoon, Subashini Kumarasinghe, Manjula Rajapakshe, Sheriff MHR,Nick A Buckley, David Gunnell Clinical Toxicology, 44: 283-286, 2006
- The diabetes epidemic in Sri Lanka – a growing problem P Katulanda, Sheriff MHR, D R Matthew CMJ 2006 March, Vol 51, No. 1, 26-28
- Physical vulnerability and fatal self-harm in the elderly. “Eddleston M, Dissanayake, Sheriff MHR,Warrell DA, Gunnell D, Br J Psychiatry 2006, 189; 278 -9
- Compliance for single and multiple dose regimens of superactivates charcoal; A prospective study of patients in a clinical trial. “Mohamed F, Senarathna L, Azher S, Sheriff MHR,Buckley N, Eddleston M, Clinical Toxiocology 2007; 369:169-170
- Plasma alkalinisation for acute organophosphorus poisoning- is it a Reality in the developing world? “Roberts DM, Dawson AH, Hittarage A, Jegenathan K, Sheriff MHR, Buckley NA Clinical Toxiology 2007; 45; 90-91
- The Hazzards of gastric lavage for intentional self-poisoning in resource poor Location Clinical Toxiology “Eddleston M, HaggallaS, Reginald K, Sudarshan K, Senthikumaran M, Karalliedde I, Ariaratnam A, Sheriff MHR, Warrell DA, Buckley N 2007; 45:36-143
- Study Protocol: a randomized controlled trial of multiple and single does activated charcoal for acute self – poisoning Michael Eddleston, Edmund Juszczak, Nick A Buckley, Lalith Senarathna, Fahim Mohammed, Stuart Allen, Wasantha Dissanayake, Ariyasena Attarage, Shifa Azher, Jeganathan K, Shaluka Jayamanne, Rezvi Sheriff MH, David A Warrell Emergency Medicine 2007,7:2
- The Importance of Poisoning vs. Road Traffic Injuries as a Cause of Death in Rural Sri Lanka Michael Eddleston, Nilantha Udayakumara, Sriyantha Adhikari, Dhamika de Silva, MH Rezvi Sheriff, Dhananjaya L Waidyaratne July 2007, Issue 4, e599
- Diabetes mellitus among young adults in Sri Lanka – role of GAD antibodies in classification and treatment: The Sri Lanka Young Diabetes study Katulanda P, Shine B, Katulanda GW, Silva A, Asfir EL, Sheriff R, Somasundaram N, Long AE, Bingley PJ, McCarthy MI, Clark A, Matthews DRDiabetologia , DOI 10.1007/s00125-008-1052-6, April 2008
- Predicting Outcome using Butyrylcholinesterase Activity in Organophosphourus Pesticide Self-Poisoning Michael Eddleston, Peter Eyer, Franz Worek, MH Rezvi Sheriff, Nick A Buckley QJM 2008 June, 101(6):467-474
- Frequent and potentially fatal envenoming by hump-nosed pit vipers (Hypnale hypnale and H.nepa) in Sri Lanka: lack of effective antivenom Ariaratnam CA, Thuraisingam V, Kularatne SAM,Sheriff MHR, Theakston RDG, De Silva A, Warrell DA Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (2008)
- Distinctive Epidemiologic and Clinical Features of Common Krait (Bungarus caeruleus) Bites in Sri Lanka Christeine A. Ariaranam, M.H. Rezvi Sheriff, R. David G. Teakston, and David A. Warrell The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 79(3), 2008, PP, 458 – 462
- Syndromic Approach to Treatment of Snake Bite in Sri Lanka Based on Results of a Prospective National Hospital – Based Survey of Patients Envenomed by Identified Snakes. , Ariaratnam CA , Mohamed H. Rezvi Sheriff, Carukshi Arambepola, R. David G. Theakston, and David A. Warrell. The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 81(4), 2009, PP 725 - 731
- A two-year retrospective analysis of renal transplant patients in Sri Lanka Rodrigo C, Rajapakse S, Lanerolle R, Sheriff MHR Soudi Journal of Kidney Disease & Transplantation 2009, SJKDT_197_09
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Sri Lankan adults Katulanda P, Jayawardena MAR,Sheriff MHR, Constantine GR, Matthews DR International Association for the Study of Obesity Reviews 2010
- Apolipoproteins in diabetes dyslipidaemia in South Asians with young adult- onset diabetes:distribution, association and patterns Gaya W Katulanda, Prasad katulanda, Adler AI, eiris SR, Draisey I, Wijeratne S, Sheriff R, Matthews DR, Brian Shine Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 2010; 47:29-34
- Prevalence and correlates of Tobacco Smoking in Sri Lanka Katulanda P, DPhil, Kremlin Wickramasinghe, MBBS, Jayaweera G. Mahesh, MBBS, Amila Rathnapala MBBS, Godwin R. Constantine MD, Rezvi Sheriff MD, David. R. Matthews, Dphil, and Shyam S. D. Fernando, Phd. Asia – Pacific Journal of Public Health 2011; 23;861-869
- Diabetes and Renal Complications Presentations in the Family Doctor’s Chambers. M.H. Rezvi Sheriff Text book of Family Medicine i-viii 2011
- Physical activity patterns and correlates among adults from a developing country: the Sri Lanka Diabetes and Cardiovascular Study - Corrigendum. Katulanda P, Jayawardana R, Ranasinghe P, Rezvi Sheriff M, Matthews DR. Public Health Nutr. 2012 Oct 23:1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Metabolic syndrome among Sri Lankan adults: prevalence, patterns and correlates. Katulanda P, Ranasinghe P, Jayawardana R, Sheriff R, Matthews DR. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2012 May 31;4(1):24. doi: 10.1186/1758-5996-4-24