- MBBS – University of Colombo (1999)
- MD – University of Colombo (2005)
- MRCP (UK) 2007
- Lecturer, Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Colombo
- Specialist Rheumatologist, National Hospital Sri Lanka
The Glaxo Wellcome Research Grant for the year 2012 for the study on Prevalence of early rheumatoid arthritis in a semi urban area in Sri Lanka
- Osteoarthritis Research Initiative Scholarship 2012 - for Osteoarthritis research
- SLMA-Glaxo Smith Klein Research Award 2012
- APLAR (Asia Pacific League Against Rheumatism) Fellowship for 2006 Utilized after April 2007
- The Commonwealth Foundation Medical Elective Bursary 1999-2000 Elective, Cardiology Department of St. Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney and in Rheumatology at the Concord Repatriation Hospital, Sydney, Australia
- Atukorala I, Gunetilleke B, de Abrew K, Jayasinghe S. Footwear and Footcare in Diabetics –a preliminary study. E.M.Wijerama Award for outstanding research, 138th Anniversary Academic Sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association, March 2000 (Presenting author)
- Rajapakse G, Atukorala I, Wijayaratne L, Udagama-Randeniya P. Preliminary study on immunological, Socioeconomic and disease characterization aspects of a population of Rheumatoid arthritis patients in Sri Lanka. Allergy & Immunology Sessions of Sri Lanka, November 2006. Awarded the Best Scientific Paper in the clinical immunology division.
- Dr. John F. Stokes Gold Medal - For best performance at the MD (Clinical Medicine) examination Part II- March 2005 Post Graduate Institute of Medicine
- Medal for Student of the Year 1999 - Awarded by the University of Colombo
- Sumanawathie De Costa Jubilee Gold Medal - Awarded by the Faculty of Medicine
- Sir Andrew Caldecott Gold Medal- For the Best Student, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo 1999
- Dr. D. De. S. Muthukumaranaswami Memorial prize- For Final MBBS examination, 1999
- Prof. K. Dharmadasa Gold Medal- For Medicine
- Garvin Gold Medal- For General Medicine
- Drago Austin Gold Medal- For Operative Surgery
- Dr. M. M. Burhan Gold Medal- For Orthopedic Surgery
- Meneckbai Dadabhoy Gold Medal- For Surgery
- Naomi Thiagarajah Prize- For Midwifery
- Ranasinghe Memorial Prize- For Midwifery
- Dr. A. D. Wijesena Memorial Medal- For Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Joesph Nalliah Arumugam Memorial scholarship- For Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Dr. H.J. Hazari Medal- For Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Dr. Herath Gunaratne Prize- For Third MBBS
- Loos Gold Medal- For Pathology
- Daphne Attygalle Medal- For Pathology
- Vanderstraaten Silver Medal-For Hygiene
I have experience in teaching examination techniques and management of medical and rheumatological conditions to various categories of health care professionals including doctors, medical students and nursing students in Sri Lanka as well as in Oxford
- An unusual cause of generalized oedema in systemic lupus erythematosus. Ranawaka N, Atukorala I, Fernandopulle N, Nawarathna M. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2012 Dec;51(12):2298-300. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/kes157
- Atukorala I, Weeratunge P, Rathnamalala N, Kalubowila J & Lanerolle R. Cardiovascular Risk in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Do Renal Risk Factors Play a Part? Proceedings of Euorpean League Against Rheumatism Annual Meeting in Berlin. June 2012
- Multiple ring-enhancing cerebral lesions in systemic lupus erythematosis: a case report. Chang T, Rodrigo C, Ranawaka N, Atukorala I. J Med Case Rep. 2012 Jun 28;6(1):172. doi: 10.1186/1752-1947-6-172.
- Rodrigo C and Atukorala I. Delay in diagnosis of generalized miliary tuberculosis with osseo-articular involvement: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 2011, 5:512
- Atukorala I. Wijayaratne D, Marasinghe A, Lanerolle R. Is Lupus Nephritis Different in Sri Lanka? A retrospective review of 73 cases. Ann Rheum Dis 2011; 70(Suppl3):735
- Ediriweera de Silva E, Haniffa M R, Gunathillaka KDK, Athukorale I, Fernando P, W.L.S.P. Perera. Knowledge on Osteoporosis among Female Medical School Entrants in Sri Lanka. 18th World Organisation of Family Doctors – Asia Pacific Conference, February 20 – 24th, 2011, Cebu city, Philippines.
- Ediriweera de Silva E, Haniffa M R, Gunathillaka KDK, Athukorale I, Fernando P,. Perera WLSP. A study on practices in preventing Osteoporosis among female medical school entrants in Sri Lanka. 18th World Organisation of Family Doctors – Asia Pacific Conference, February 20 – 24th, 2011, Cebu city, Philippines
- Ediriweera de Silva E, Haniffa M R, Gunathillaka KDK, Athukorale I, Fernando P, Perera WLSP. Calcium intake and sources of dietary calcium – A study among young female medical school entrants. Scientific sessions of the Nutrition Society of Sri Lanka, January 2011.
- GK Rajapaksa, V De Silva, S Goonathilake, I Athukorala, LS Wijayarathna, PV Udagama-Randeniya . A study of immunological profile, disease characteristics and socioeconomic status of a population of rheumatoid arthritis patients in Sri Lanka. Indian Journal of Rheumatology 2009 March. Original Article Volume 4, Number 1; pp. 3–10
- Yun Zhang, Pille Harrison, Inoshi Atukorala and B Paul Wordsworth. Allograft Inflammatory Factor 1 (AIF 1) in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Annual Sessions of the British Society of Rheumatology April 2008
- Jayasinghe S, Atukorala I, Gunetilleke B, Siriwardena V, Herath SC, de Abrew K. Is walking barefoot a risk factor for diabetic foot disease in developing countries? Rural Remote Health 2007 Apr-Jun; 7(2):692. Epub 2007 Jun 15
- Wijesundere A, Atukorala I, Jayasekera K, Karunanayake P. A patient with Quinine resistant malaria in Sri Lanka , Case Report. Ceylon Medical Journal 2005; 50(3):125-6.
- Atukorala I, Wordsworth BP. Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva – Lumps, Bumps and Biologics. Rheumatology Vol. 46 Suppl i;32(27)
- Atukorala I, T. Ding, J. Carter, P Bowness, J. David, R Luqmani, Wordsworth BP. What proportion of patients in a routine clinic for rheumatoid arthritis fulfil the NICE criteria for anti-TNF biologic therapy? Rheumatology Vol 46 suppl 1 April 2007 i70(140).
- Petrie KA, Pointon JJ, Atukorala I, Russell RGG, Wordsworth BP, Triffit JT. Identification of a novel mutation in Activin Type I Receptor (ACVR1) in a fibrodysplasia ossificans progressive patient. Calcified Tissue International, Vol. 80 Supplement 1 Abs. CC004, 34th European Symposium on Calcified Tissues, Copenhagen, Denmark , 2007.
- Rajapakse G, Atukorala I, Wijayaratne L, Udagama-Randeniya P. Preliminary study on immunological, socioeconomic and disease characterization aspects of a population of Rheumatoid arthritis patients in Sri Lanka. Allergy & Immunology Sessions of Sri Lanka November 2006 Abs. p. . Awarded the Best Scientific Paper in clinical immunology.
- Fernando S, Fernando SSD, Wahalathunthri N, Atukorala I et al. Proceedings of the Annual Sessions of the Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists 2000, Abs. p.1.
- Atukorala I, Wijesundere A. “Drinking trends- Patterns of Alcohol use and abuse in cohort of patients in a medical ward”. Annual Sessions of the Sri Jayawardene Hospital. 2002 - Runner-up for the best presentation that year
- Atukorala I Gunetilleke B, de Abrew K, Jayasinghe S. Foot wear and foot care in diabetics: a preliminary study. Proceedings of the Annual Sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association 2000, Abstracts p. 26-27. (Presenting author)
- Atukorala,I, Bawa, S. and Wordsworth, P. (2010) Spondyloarthropathies In : C. Bulstrode, J. Wilson-Mc Donald, J. Fairbank, T. Briggs and D. Eastwood eds Oxford Textbook of Orthopaedics and Trauma, 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Atukorala I. Musculoskeletal Diseases in the Elderly. In : C. Gooneratne and A Balasooriya eds. Primer in Geriatrics (in Press)
- Principal Investigator for the Sri Lankan Site for the ACR/EULAR endorsed study to develop classification and diagnostic criteria for primary systemic vasculitis (DCVAS) 10/H0505/19 in collaboration with the Nuffield Departemnt of Orthopaedics and Musculoskeletal Sciences in Oxford.
- Sub investigator in the following clinical trials conducted the Department of Rheumatology, Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford.
- Long term extension study of the safety during treatment with Tocilizumab (MRA) in patients completing treatment in MRA core studies March 2006-2007
- Phase III, Multi-center Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-controlled 76 week study to evaluate the efficary and safety of Belimumab, a fully human monoclonal Anti BLys antibody in subjects with Systemic Lupus Erythematosis, recruiting
- Multicenter, Randomised, Double Blind, Placebo-controlled Trial of Golimumab a fully human anti TNF alpha monoclonal antibody, administered subcutaneously in subjects with active Rheumatoid Arthritis and Previously treated with Biological Anti-TNF alpha agents (GOAFTER)
- Phase III, Multicenter Study for the Safety and Efiicacy of Human Antibody Adalimumab in subjects with Active Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Rhapsody - M05-760, Review of safety and efficacy with Adalimumab in patients with active ankylosing spondylitis - an open label study to evaluate the response to Adalimumab in patients who have failed standard therapy or TNF-alpha-inhibitors