Professional achievements & Activities
- Lecturer (probationary) Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine , Colombo.
- Senior Registrar in Medical Virology
Education & Training (Degrees Diplomas etc)
- M.B, B.S (Colombo)- 2nd class upper division
- Post graduate diploma in Medical Microbiology (2014)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Medical Education (2017)
- MD in Medical Virology (2017)
- Applied Sciences Stream– First Class
- Introductory Basic Sciences Stream – Second Class Upper Division
- Behavioral Sciences Stream – Second Class Upper Division
- Community Medicine-– Second Class Upper Division
- Clinical Sciences Stream-– Second Class Lower Division
- Distinction in Parasitology
HONORS, AWARDS & GRANTS
- Gladys Jayawardena Gold Medal for Parasitology awarded by University of Colombo.
- Tissa Vitarana Gold Medal for Diploma in Medical Microbiology
- Daphne Attygalle prize for the best paper in cancer (Annual Scientific Sessions, Sri Lanka Medical Association (2008).
- Prize for the best paper presented at Annual Scientific Sessions, Sri Jayawardenapura General Hospital (2008)
- Best results in biological science section (Advanced Level 1999, Visakha Vidyalaya, Colombo)
- MRI Research Grant for the study “Prevalence and associated factors of BK virus viriuria and viraemia in post renal transplant patients in National Hospital of Sri Lanka.” (2014).
- National Research Council grant for “Sero-prevalence of anti- measles and anti-varicella IgG and factors associated with immunity in pregnant mothers attending antenatal clinics of De Soyza Maternity Hospital, Sri Lanka.” (2016)
- Prevalence of hypothyroidism in a Sri Lankan population with dyslipidaemia Premathilake MIP, Premathilake PR, Wijesundere Anula Presented at the Annual Scientific Sessions, Sri Jayawardenapura General Hospital (2008) and won the prize for the best paper.
- Serum prostate specific antigen (PSA) levels in Sri Lankan males with carcinoma of prostate. Lokuhetty MDS, Wijesinghe HD, Premathilake MIP, Abeysuriya D, Samarasinghe U, Perera N Presented at the Annual Scientific Sessions, Sri Lanka Medical Association (2008)
- Prevalence of lupus anticoagulant among patients with vascular thrombosis and pregnancy morbidity Premathilake PR, Perera MI, Gooneratne LV, Tudawe MN Poster presentation at the Annual Scientific Sessions , Sri Lanka Medical Association (2008)
- An analysis of pre donation deferral of blood donors–A single centre experience. Premathilake PR, Perera MI. Poster presentation at the Annual Scientific Session , Sri Lanka Medical Association (2011)
- Comparison of BK virus viriuria and viraemia in post renal transplant patients – A single centre study. Premathilake MIP, Jayamaha CJS. Oral presentation at Annual Scientific Sessions of Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists (2016) and won the prize for best oral presentation.
- Detection of BK virus (BKV) in renal transplant recipients in National Hospital of Sri Lanka (NHSL). Premathilake MIP, Jayamaha CJS Poster presentation at the Annual Scientific Session , Sri Lanka Medical Association (2016).
- Prevalence and associated factors of BK virus viruria and viraemia among post renal transplant patients in National Hospital of Sri Lanka (NHSL). MIP Premathilake – MD Medical Virology dissertation 2017
Workshops & Training programs
- Design and Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials held on August 27, 2007 organized by The Sri Lanka Medical Association, MEDARC Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo and The South Asian Cochrain Network.
- “Developing facilitation skills to conduct Small Group Discussions and Problem Based Learning Tutorials” held on January 31, 2007 organized by Medical Education Development and Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo.
- Symposium on Vaccines held on October 21, 2012 organized by The Vaccine Forum of Sri Lanka.
- The Speech Craft Progarm Program conducted by The Colombo Toastmasters Club (5324) from May-July 2015.
- Two day workshop on real time PCR training conducted by Centres for Disease Control and prevention (CDC) USA at Medical Research Institute, Colombo on, February 11and 12, 2014.
- Symposium on Vaccines 2014, 2016 and 2017 organized by The Vaccine Forum of Sri Lanka.
- A one week workshop from February 17-23, 2016 on “How to Get Your Research Published” conducted by the Post Graduate institute of Medicine, University of Colombo.
- Workshop on Dissertation Writing organized by the Post Graduate institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, held on June 04, 2014.
- Pre-Congress session on “Advances in Immunology : Implications for Vaccination” at the 127th Anniversary International Medical Congress of the Sri Lanka Medical Association held on July 15, 2014.
- Workshop on Quality Indicators in Health Related Infections organized by the Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists held on October 28, 2014.
- Workshop on e-Based learning organized by the Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists held on February 18, 2016.
- Lecturer (probationary) Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine , Colombo. [Undergraduate teaching activities such as small group discussions, tutorials, integrated ward classes and lectures]
- Registrar in Medical Virology [Involved in virological diagnostic isolation carried out at the Medical Research Institute (current place of attachment), Competent in performing real time PCR, ELISA, virus isolation using cell culture technique and bed side tests as immunochromatographic tests,Advising clinicians regarding specimen collection and transport of specimens for virologic investigations, result interpretation and patient care.,Involved in lab based teaching activities for MLT and diploma in microbiology trainees, Contributed to carry out research at the same set-up]
- Served ministry of health as a medical officer/ blood bank, DGH Negombo ( 2009 March-2012 September)
- Relief House officer /Medicine at Sri Jayawardenapura General Hospital, Nugegoda (2008 October-2009 March)
- Intern medical officer in Medicine and surgery (2007October-2008 October)
- Medical appointment under the supervision of Prof. Anula Wijesundere(MD,FRCP), Consultant physician.
- Surgical appointment under the supervision of Dr. Gamini Gunathilake(MS, FRCS),Consultant Surgeon.
- Temporary Demonstrator in Department of Pathology (2006 January-2006 October)
- Procurement assistant at IBM Sri Lanka 2000 February-2000 December
- Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists
- Sri Lankan Society for Microbiology
- Allergy and Immunology Society of Sri Lanka
- Secretary, National Task Force for Containment of Poliovirus type 2 in Sri Lanka. Committee member, appointed by the Ministry of Health in collaboration with the WHO.
- Executive committee member, Cancer Care Association, Sri Lanka (2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016- 2017)