Centre for Training , Reaserach & Diagnosis of Leishmaniasis.....
Laboratory & Supportive Services
Weekly Clinic on Leishmaniasis
The leishmaniasis clinic is held at Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo on Tuesdays 8.30 a.m. to 12.00 noon except on public holidays. Alternative dates are available by appointment.
Free services offered by the centre
- Sample collection for diagnosis of leishmaniasis -lesion aspirations, slit skin scrapings, blood
- Laboratory investigations (microscopy, culture, PCR, rk 39 assay)
- Expert advice on case management and follow up
- Technical advice on sample collection and transport
- Hospital visits on request for referrals
- Technical support
- Technical advice
- Patient follow up service
Free laboratory testing services
- Light microscopic examination of lesion aspirations, slit skin scrapings & touch smears
- In-vitro cultivation of parasites
- rK39 serological assays
- Bone marrow or any organ tissue examination is also performed
How to send a sample
- Samples collected elsewhere can be sent for further investigations at the centre.
- Samples are accepted from 8.30 a.m. to 12.00 noon.
- Samples for microscopy can be sent immediately at room temperature. However it is advised to contact the Department of Parasitology before sending samples for other investigations. It is also advised to send samples without processing (preparation of smears, staining etc.) which will be preferably carried out by the technical team of the centre.
- No formalin/ preservatives.
Diagnosis of Leishmaniasis
|Parasitological/ Microscopic detention
||Genetic Based Diagnosis
Slit skin smear (SSS)
Lesion aspirate (LA)
Swabs from lesions
These samples can be obtained from patients
with CL skin lesions.
Bone marrow/liver & splenic aspirations are
used in VL patients.
Samples are examined directly under microscopy
or can be cultured.
Serological assays are performed mainly in VL.
Not very useful in CL, since an increase of
antibody level is not usually associated with CL.
|Polymerase Chain Reaction
(PCR) on lesion material/ Bone marrow
An expensive investigation.
Not available in the free health care settings
Used to diagnose CL, MCL& VL
Our Service Recipients Up To Date
|National Hospital Sri Lanka
||Ampara District General Hospital
|Sri Lanka Military Services
||Chilaw District General Hospital
|Anuradhapura Teaching Hospital
||Gampaha District General Hospital
|Colombo North Teaching Hospital , Ragama
||Hambantota District General Hospital
|Colombo South Teaching Hospital , Kalubowila
||Kalutara District General Hospital
|Dental Institute, Colombo
||Kegalle District General Hospital
|Jaffna Teaching Hospital
||Kilinochchi District General Hospital
|Kandy Teaching Hospital
||Mannar District General Hospital
|Karapitiya Teaching Hospital
||Batticaloa Teaching Hospital
|Lady Ridgway Hospital for Children
||Matara District General Hospital
|National Cancer Institute, Maharagama
||Monaragala District General Hospital
|Peradeniya Teaching Hospital
||Mullaithivu District General Hospital
|Sri Jayawardenapura General Hospital
||Nuwara Eliya District General Hospital
|Badulla Provincial General Hospital
||Polonnaruwa District General Hospital
|Kurunegala Provincial General Hospital
||Trincomalee District General Hospital
|Rathnapura Provincial General Hospital
||Vavuniya District General Hospital