Ongoing Research (2016)
- Cloning and expression of cellulase and xylanase genes of Trichoderma in a yeast system to develop synergistic saccharification and direct fermentation of cellulosic biomass to ethanol.
- Construction and characterization of expression vector cassettes containing genes for wheat proteins, gliadin and glutenins-towards the development of wheat-like rice.
- Molecular characterization of katG, inhA and ahpC genes of isoniazid resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates
- Genotyping Sri Lankan women with polycystic ovary syndrome: towards a novel diagnostic test
- Cloning, expression and purification of recombinant fruit bromelain in a prokaryotic host system
- Use of fungal chitinase and glucanase genes to engineer plant defense against fungal pathogens.
- Morphological, genetic and pathogenic characterization of Colletotrichum species, the causative fungus of anthracnose of Rubber and other crops in Sri Lanka
- Development of xylan utilizing Saccharomyces cerevisae through advanced genomic shuffling technology
- Isolation and cloning of microbial genes encoding polyethylene degradation: towards the development of an enhanced biosystem
- Over expression of thermostable Alkaline protease and DNA polymerase-1 genes of Bacillus licheniformis using and E.coli expression system
- Isolation of genes of industrial importance (Mphi/, Msc)
- Microbial degradation of hydrocarbons (Mphi/, Msc)
- Genetic aspects related to obesity (SNPs, microRNA)(Msc,)
- “Patterns of pesticide use in rice cultivation in Sri Lanka: Implication on environment and health of farmers ”. (M.Phil)
De Lanerolle-Dias M, de Silva A, Lanerolle P, Arambepola C, Atukorala S. Body fat assessment in Sri Lankan adolescent girls: development of a simple field tool. Annals of Human Biology 2011, 38(3): 330–336
Atukorala S. Promoting research among young scientists in Sri Lanka. Editorial, Journal of the National Science Foundation Sri Lanka 2010; 38(4):211-2
Atukorala S, Lanerolle P, de Silva A. Effects of the global financial crisis on the food security of poor urban households: Case study, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka and RUAF Foundation, Leusden, July 2010.
Atukorala S. Science Education for Promoting ‘Greening’ in Sri Lanka: A Case for Inquiry-Based Education. Proceedings of the fourth AASA-FASAS joint international conference on Science education in Asia and the Pacific p. 193-8, Seoul, Korea, October 2010.
Thoradeniya T, Wickremasinghe AR, Ramanayake R, Atukorala S. Low folic acid status and its association with anaemia in urban adolescent girls of childbearing age. British Journal of Nutrition 2006;95:511-516.
Atukorala S. Multidisciplinary research. Editorial, Journal of the National Science Foundation Sri Lanka 2006; 34(1):1.
Lanerolle P, Atukorala S. Nutrition education improves serum retinol concentration among adolescent school girls. Asia pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2006;15(1):1-5.
Atukorala S. Iron supplementation during infection: is it beneficial? Proceedings of the IX Asian Congress of Nutrition, New Delhi, India. Ed. M Seshadri, A Sidhu, Nutrition Foundation of India, New Delhi, India 2003; 309-313.
De Silva A, Atukorala S, Weerasinghe I, Ahluwalia A. Iron supplementation improved iron status and reduced morbidity in children with, or without respiratory tract infections: a randomized controlled study in Colombo, Sri Lanka. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2003:77:237-41.
Nestel P, Nalubola R, Sivakaneshan R, Wickremasinghe, AR, Atukorala S, Wickramanayake T, and the flour fortification team. The use of iron-fortified wheat flour to reduce anemia among the estate population in Sri Lanka. International Journal of Vitamin and Nutrition Research 2004;74(1):34-51.
De Abrew K, Atukorala S, Jayakody RL, Galappaththy P, de Silva MSG, Goonaratna C. Sugars, fruits and fructose drinks. Ceylon Medical Journal 2004;49(1):24.
Atukorala S. Coconut kernel and coconut oil in the Sri Lankan diet. Proceedings of the National Seminar on coconut and coconut products in health and disease, Trivandrum, India September 2003, p. 98-101
Ahluwalia N, Atukorala S, de Silva A. Measuring serum ferritin under field conditions: Considerations. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2002:76:1138-9.
Atukorala S. Mind your food. Science in Sri Lanka 2003;4(3):15-16
Atukorala S, Balagalle S, Jayasinghe S, Thenuwara N. Prevalence of high serum lipoprotein (a) in a selected sample of Sri Lankan adults. Ceylon Medical Journal 2002;47(4):144-5.
Ahluwalia N, de Silva A, Atukorala S, Weaver V, Rajendra R.Ferritin concentrations in dried serum spots from capillary and venous blood in children in Sri Lanka: A validation study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2002;75:289-94.
Lanerolle P, Atukorala S, G de Silva, S Samarasinghe, L Dharmawardena. Evaluation of nutrition education for improving iron status in combination with daily iron supplementation. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2000;23(3):259-269.
Jayantha Welihinda., H.A.S.Ariyawanse and Rohitha Wickramasinghe (2006)Comparison of the diuretic effects of frusemide and the Karavi Panchaka Ayurveda decoction. The Ceylon Medical Journal. 51,No.3, September 2006
U.P.K.Hettiaratchi, S.Ekanayake and J Welihinda.(2009) Do Sri Lankan meals help decrease blood glucose response? The Ceylon Medical Journal. 54, No. 2, June 2009
Hettiaratchi U.P.K.. Ekanayake S., Welihinda J .(2009) Glycaemic indiceas (GI) of three Sri Lankan wheat bread varieties and a bread- lentil meal. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition 2009. 60: Issue 1, supplement 4, 21-30.
Widanagamage R.D., Ekanayake S., Welihinda J..(2009) Carbohydrate rich foods: glycaemic indices and the effect of constituent macronutrients. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition.2009, 60: Issue 1, supplement 4, 215-223. Nutritional assessment of a jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) meal
U P K Hettiaratchi1, J Welihinda2 (Index words: Artocarpus heterophyllus, jackfruit, glycaemic index, nutritional properties) The Ceylon Medical Journal. 56,No.2, June 2011
M.A. Lokuge. And C.Deepal. Mathew. (2001). Kinetic studies of extracellular alpha galactosidase from citrobacter freundii. Journal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka, 29 (3 & 4), 97 – 106
Madushani Nirosha Dharmasena. And C.D. Mathew. (2002). Reducing Flatulence factors in soyamilk using coconut kernel a - Galactosidase Immobilized Hydrophobic Gels.
Indeewari Kalhari Silva, Preethi Soysa Evaluation of phytochemical composition and antioxidant capacity of a decoction containing Adenanthera pavonina L. and Thespesia populnea L (2011) Pharmacognosy Magazine Vol 7 193-197.
Preethi Soysa, Saman Kolambage Rapid HPLC/UV method for analysis of urinary and plasma/serum paracetamol concentrations. J.Natn.Sci.Foundation Sri Lanka 2010 38 (2):131-137
M.G.A.N.Perera, S.S.SB.D.P Soysa, D.T.U Abeytunga, R Ramesh (2008), , Antioxidant cytotoxic properties of three traditional decoctions used for the treatment of cancer in Sri Lanka. Pharmacognosy Magazine Vol 4, 172-181
de Siva A, SamarasingheY, Senanayake D, Lanerolle P. Dietary supplement intake in national level Sri Lankan athletes. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 2010, 20, 15-20.
Jayasinghe D. R. and Wijesundera W. S. S. (2003). Differentiation of Setaria digitata and Setaria labiatopapillosa using molecular markers. The Veterinary Journal, 165, 136-142.