Centre for Traning, Research & Diagnosis of Leishmaniasis.......
Training & Education
Completed & Ongoing Post Graduate Degree Programmes
1. Clinical epidemiology of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka & the molecular identification of the parasite by Dr. Yamuna Deepani Siriwardana. (PhD, 2008)
2. Host innate cellular immune response against L.donavani causing cutaneous leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka ( On going- Dr. Nilakshi Samaranayaka & Ms. Hiruni Wijesooriya)
3. Serological aspects of leishmaniasis by Dr. Samantha Ranasinghe (MSC 2012)
4. Vectors of leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka (On going –Dr Sanath Senanayake)
5. Leishmaniasis caused by L. donovani in Sri Lanka. (On going – Udeshika Kariyawassam)
6. Establishment of serological assays for leishmaniasis diagnosis (On going- Bhagya Deepachandi)
MLT Training Programme
Free of charge training is provided for the Public Health & Medical Laboratory Technicians (PHLTs & MLTs) of Ministry of Health Care & Nutrition. Three batches have been trained up to date. This programme is conducted with a view to facilitate laboratory diagnosis and to enhance the case detection rate in the clinical setting. Candidates are trained for sample collection, microscopic diagnosis and other techniques on leishmaniasis.
Scientific Workshops on Leishmaniasis
Since the reporting of the first case of leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka, in 1992, new cases have been reported annually from various parts of the country. Initially cases were detected among service personnel working in combat areas & thereafter they became more widespread with more cases being reported from Matara, Hambanthota & Anuradhupa districts in 2008.
An international colloquium was convened by the Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo for stakeholders from various research, higher education and health related institutes with the attendance of many international experts on leishmaniasis. The colloquium addressed many issues of leishmaniasis and the National Action Plan for leishmaniasis control was drawn up.
Second International Colloquium
“An Update on Clinical Epidemiology & Diagnostic Aspects of Leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka” was convened by the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo during 26th – 29th March 2013. Many experts in leishmaniasis participated and the National Action Plan was revised and updated.
Post Graduate Training in Leishmanisis
The centre offers training in leishmaniasis during the post graduate training of the following degree programmes conducted by the Post Graduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, .
MD in Medical Parasitology
MD in Transfusion Medicine
MD in Medial Microbiology
Diploma in Medical Microbiology