Training Program in Clinical Genetics is designed for medical professionals with an MBBS degree.
This course aims to provide an in-depth understanding and knowledge of the core concepts in clinical genetics and genomics and their applications in medicine and healthcare. It provides training in understanding the effects of chromosomal abnormalities and genetic variations on human health and disease, the use of clinical evaluation and genetic testing in the diagnosis of genetic disorders and risk estimation, selecting appropriate genetic and genome-level diagnostic tests, interpreting results and providing accurate genetic information and advice to patients, their families and the public at large.
This program aims to develop a critical understanding and knowledge of the core concepts in clinical genetics and genomics and their applications in medicine and healthcare. By the end of the program, participants should be able to:
- explain the structure and function of chromosomes and genes
- explain the effects of chromosomal abnormalities/genetic variations on human health and disease
- record family history data using 3-generational pedigrees
- describe patterns of inheritance
- analyze pedigrees for risk assessment of genetic disorders
- select appropriate genetic and genome-level investigations and interpret results
- describe the use of clinical evaluation and genetic testing in the diagnosis of genetic disorders and risk estimation
- describe the principles/applications of genetics & genomic data in clinical practice
- explain the principles of genetic counseling
- describe the principles of new therapeutic advances in genetics & genomics
- provide accurate genetic information and advice to individuals and families
- conduct literature searches and use online resources to obtain current genetic information
- describe the principles of long-term management of common genetic disorders
- communicate and explain genetic issues to colleagues and the lay public
- understand ethical, legal and socio-cultural implications of genomics and associated technologies
- Duration: 3 months (Part time)
Medically qualified applicants should have a MBBS degree.
The training would be delivered over 3 months, comprising online teaching/learning (Mondays and Thursdays from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm) and face to face sessions (once a month – Saturday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm).
The content will be covered under 3 modules:
- Module 1: Basic Cytogenetics & Molecular Genetics
- Module 2: Genetic Diagnostics & Ethical issues
- Module 3: Genomic Medicine & Genetic Counseling
The training program would be delivered by a local faculty using a mix of teaching/learning methods: self-directed online learning with online lectures, tutorials/assignments, discussion forums, and face to face sessions involving clinical case scenarios with case-based discussions. A one-day orientation workshop would be held to provide hands on computer training in relevant Microsoft Office applications and the use of the online Learning Management System.
Academic staff of the Human Genetics Unit/Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo and other extended Faculty who are qualified in Medical and Clinical Genetics.
A final assessment conducted at the end of the course will comprise multiple-choice questions and an objective structured practical examination (OSPE). Candidates who score an overall minimum of 50% marks at the final assessment will qualify for the certificate.
Registration Fee: Rs.5000
Program Fee: Rs.45,000
Course Coordinator: Prof. Nirmala Sirisena, Senior Lecturer and Clinical Geneticist, Human Genetics Unit, Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo
Phone: +94 112 629710