Although phlebotomy is one of the most common invasive procedures in health care, any state or public sector institutions do not yet offer formal training facilities. Hence, this course will fulfill the much needed requirement that will deliver guidelines for best practices of Phlebotomy that can make phlebotomy safer for patients, health care workers. It will also provide a solid foundation in eliminating pre analytical errors in medical laboratories in Sri Lanka.
Advanced Certificate Course in Phlebotomy is a 3 months part time program conducted by Central Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, Colombo. The program has been designed for those who are willing to develop knowledge and skills in the performance of a variety of blood collection methods using correct techniques and standard precautions in phlebotomy while adhering to ethical and professional norms.
To develop knowledge and skills in the performance of a variety of blood collection methods using correct techniques and standard precautions in phlebotomy while adhering to ethical and professional norms.
- Duration: 3moths
- Credit Hours:
- SQLF level:2
- Candidates should possess GCE Advanced Level in Biology subjects or equivalent qualification with minimum experience of 3 years in phlebotomy (equal or above SLQF level 2).
- All students must be at least 18 years of age.
- Simple pass or higher result in English language at GCE O/Level or equivalent qualification.
An interview will be held by two reviewers. Prior to admission to assess the eligibility requirements. Check list with eligibility criteria will be used.
- Lectures with PowerPoint presentations
- Practical demonstrations using dummy arms and audio/visual materials
- One to one training on phlebotomy procedure
The final evaluation will comprise of three components
- Assignment 1- Log book evaluation and viva: 20%
- Assignment 2 -End of course examination(written exam -will comprise of MCQ and SEQ): 30%
- Assignment 3- Skills assessment (practical): 50%
Performance of a minimum of 25 supervised, successful unaided venipuncture collections and performance of a minimum of 10 supervised, successful unaided capillary collections are mandatory requirements to be eligible to receive the certificate.
Will comprise of Academic staff members of the Departments of the Faculty of medicine, Colombo
- Course Fee: Rs. 30,000/- (Every batch will accommodate 5 participants from the FMC free of charge).
Faculty of Medicine
+94 112 695 300