- M.B.B.S. with First Class honours - North Colombo Medical College, Sri Lanka. 1992
- M.D. General Medicine - Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. 1998
- M.R.C.P. -U.K. 2001
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Sociology - University of Colombo, 2010
I am a specialist in General (Internal) Medicine with an interest in clinical infectious disease. As an academic I am also interested in postgraduate medical training, medical sociology, medical ethics, and higher education policy & practice.
Currently (2017) I am the president-elect of the Ceylon College of Physicians and was its joint-secretary in 2005 and 2006.
I serve in the research ethics committee of the Faculty of Medicine (as its joint-secretary) and Faculty of Arts of the University of Colombo, and in the ethics committee of the Sri Lanka Medical Association.
I am a member of the board of study in Medicine in the Postgraduate Institute of Medicine (PGIM), University of Colombo and was its secretary during 2009-2015. I have been an examiner in the PGIM in Medicine, Family Medicine, Haematology, Community Medicine, Elderly Medicine, Psychiatry, Dermatology, and Oncology. I have also been an examiner at the MRCP (UK) PACES examination.
I also serve as a member in the technical advisory group for tuberculosis prevention in the Ministry of Health. Previously I have served in similar, national-level technical or guideline-developing committees for SARS, avian influenza, malaria, dengue, novel influenza virus A H1N1, and leptospirosis.
At the National Science Foundation (NSF) I have served in the national steering committee for social science research (2010-2013) and the working committee on social sciences (2016-2017).
I have carried out peer review for BMC Infectious Diseases, BMC Research Notes, PLoS One, Sri Lanka Journal of Infectious Diseases, and Journal of the Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, as well as research grant applications and research reports for NSF, University of Sri Jayewardenepura and University of Kelaniya. I have supervised one master’s research thesis and several undergraduate and postgraduate research dissertations. I am a member of the editorial boards of Journal of the Ceylon College of Physicians and Sri Lanka Journal of Infectious Diseases, and was in the editorial board of Ceylon Journal of Medical Sciences and University of Colombo Review.
I have also been the conference secretary for 2 international conferences on leishmaniasis organized by the Faculty, in 2009 and 2013.
- Life member - Sri Lanka Medical Association, from 1996 to date
- Life member - Ceylon College of Physicians, from 1998 to date
- Convener - Gastrointestinal Disease Module, Faculty of Medicine, 2002
- Chairperson - Infectious and Parasitic Disease module, Faculty of Medicine, from 2002 to 2005
- Secretary - Board of Study in Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, from 2009 to 2015
- Conference secretary - International Colloquium on Leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka, Colombo, 2009
- Member - National steering committee for social science research, National Science Foundation, from 2010 to 2013
- Member - Board of Management, Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo, from 2010 to 2012
- Secretary - Curriculum Development and Evaluation committee, Faculty of Medicine, from 2011 to 2013
- Internal reviewer - Anti-Malaria campaign, 2012
- Member, organizing committee and editorial board and Leader for the theme Migration and Health - ‘Sri Lankans on the Move: International Conference on Migration,’ organized by the National Science Foundation - 2013
- Conference secretary - International Colloquium on Leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka, Colombo, 2013
- Member - Board of Study in Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, from 2015 to 2018
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- MB BS, North Colombo Medical College, Ragama, Sri Lanka - 1992
- First class in the final MB BS examination, with the gold medal for best student and distinctions and gold medals in Medicine and Paediatrics.
- First class in the third years’ examinations, with distinctions in Pathology and Microbiology.
- Second class (lower division) in the second years’ examination, with a distinction in Physiology.
- MD Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo - 1998
- MRCP (UK) - 2001
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education, University of Colombo - 2006
- Staff Education Development Association (SEDA), UK accreditation
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Sociology, University of Colombo - 2010
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians, London - 2012
- Fellowship of the Ceylon College of Physicians - 2013
- 2012: Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London (UK).
- 2013: Fellow of the Ceylon College of Physicians.
- 2002: Wilson Peiris Award for the best poster presentation, annual academic sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association.
- 2012: Senior Key Person of the project ‘Study of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka by L. donovani.’ NIAID, NIH, USA, grant no. 1R01AI099602-01.
- 2015: Co-investigator of the project ‘A preliminary study to evaluate the role of rotational thromboelastometry as an early predictor and indicator of progression to critical phase in dengue haemorrhagic fever.’ World Health Organization (Country Office, Sri Lanka) grant.
- 2016: Co-investigator of the project ‘A preliminary study to evaluate the role of rotational thromboelastometry as an early predictor and indicator of progression to critical phase in dengue haemorrhagic fever.’ Ceylon College of Physicians.
- 2016: Co-investigator of the project ‘A preliminary study to evaluate the role of rotational thromboelastometry as an early predictor and indicator of progression to critical phase in dengue haemorrhagic fever.’ Sri Lanka College of Haematologists.
RESEARCH WITH ABSTRACTS
- Karunanayake L, Karunanayake SAAP, Rathnayake S, Senarath U, Ranbanda JM, Kothalawela M (2017). Human Brucella infection: seropositivity and associated factors in high-risk groups in Sri Lanka. Poster presentation AB 2017/024. 50th anniversary annual academic sessions of the Ceylon College of Physicians, 7-9 September 2017, Colombo.
- Karunanayake L, Karunanayake SAAP, Rathnayake S, Senarath U, Ranbanda JM, Kothalawela M (2017). Human brucellosis: are we missing it? Poster presentation AB 2017/025. 50th anniversary annual academic sessions of the Ceylon College of Physicians, 7-9 September 2017, Colombo.
- Herath NJ, Uluwattage WH, Walivita T, Karunanayake L, Karunanayake P, Ratnatunga N, Agampodi S, Senevirathne SL, Wijayaratne GB, Madanayake DC, Lekamwasam JDVC, Kodikararachchi RKW, Weerakoon RR, De Silva KHPUD, Hettiarachchi I (2017). Benefits of therapeutic plasma exchange in leptospiral pulmonary hemorrhage. Poster presentation AB 2017/058. 50th anniversary annual academic sessions of the Ceylon College of Physicians, 7-9 September 2017, Colombo.
- Karunanayake L, Karunanayake SAAP, ULASL Jayasekera, DLCN Kumari, Karunanayake N (2016). Microbiological safety: how safe is milk? Poster presentation PP4. 25th Annual Scientific Sessions of the Sri Lanka College of Microbiologists from 10th -12th August 2016.
- Gooneratne L, Wimalachandra M, Perera T, Karunanayake P, Kumarasiri T, Devasurendra L, Wickramasinghe YW (2015). A preliminary study to evaluate the role of rotational thromboelastometry as an early predictor and indicator of progression to critical phase in dengue hemorrhagic fever. 128th Anniversary International Medical Congress of the Sri Lanka Medical Association. (Colombo, Sri Lanka: 6-8 July 2015; poster presentation PP143)
- Wickramaarachchi WPTM, Perera SSN, Jayasinghe S, Karunanayake P, Kariyawasam P (2013). Mathematical modeling and Dengue: An analysis of incidence of dengue in urban Colombo using wavelet approach. National Institute of Health Sciences, Kalutara, Sri Lanka: International Conference on Public Health Innovations. (Kalutara, Sri Lanka; May 2-4, 2013; oral presentation 27).
- Perera KYS, Ranasinghe P, Adikari AMMC, Weliwita WDTS, Perera WME, Wijesundara WMDR, Karunanayake SAAP, Constantine GR (2010). The value of the modified early warning score (MEWS) and biochemical parameters as predictors of patient outcome in acute medical admissions (poster presentation PP7). Annual academic sessions of the Ceylon College of Physicians, Colombo.
- Perera WASN, Karunanayake P, Dias D (2010). Travel health guide. IEEE HealthCom 2010 FP2.7, pp195-200. Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers: 13th International Conference on e-Health Networking, Application and Services (1-3 July 2012, Lyon, France)
- Vithana VH, Weerakkody MI, Pallewela WAVH, Karunanayake SAAP, Senarath U, Sheriff MHR (2005). Management of occupational exposure to blood and body fluids among health care workers at the National Hospital of Sri Lanka: an audit of practice (poster presentation PP-27). Annual academic sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association, Colombo. (1 citation)
- Dassanayake AS, Karunanayake SAAP, Kasturiratne KTAA, Fonseka MMD, Wijesiriwardena B, Gunatilake SB, de Silva HJ (2002). Safety of low dose subcutaneous adrenaline used as prophylaxis against acute reactions to anti-venom serum (AVS) in patients bitten by snakes (poster presentation). Annual academic sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association, Colombo This presentation won the Wilson Peiris Award for the best poster presentation at the sessions.
- Karunanayake SAAP, Hewage UCL, Fernando DJS, Sheriff MHR (1997). Blood pressure measurement by final year medical students (oral presentation). Annual academic sessions of the Sri Lanka Medical Association, Colombo.
- Infectious disease: visceral leishmaniasis, dengue, leptospirosis, brucellosis.
- Medical sociology.
- Medical ethics.
2015: Convenor for the theme ‘Rewards, incentives and best practices within the university system,’ ‘University Governance, Autonomy and Accountability: Directions for Change (Workshop)’ organized by the Senate of the University of Colombo.
Books/Book Chapter –
- Karunanayake P (2016). Workplace-Based Assessment: An Introduction for Postgraduate Trainers in General Medicine and its Specialties. Colombo: Kumaran Book House. ISBN 978-955-659-531-4. 55 pages, includes annotated bibliography and index.
- Karunanayake P (2012). Infectious diseases. In: Atapattu P and Goonaratna C (editors): Medicine in the Elderly, volume 2. (Chapter 6, pages 91-109) ISBN 978-955-53646-0-7.
Conference Paper –
- Wai SN, Lanerolle RD, Beeching NJ, Mananwatte S, Nazar ALM, Sheriff MHR, Hopkins M, Karunanayake SAAP (2011). Low prevalence of hepatitis C in patients with chronic kidney disease in Sri Lanka. Hepatology International 5(1): PP04-25, 93. (doi 10.1007/s12072-010-9241-z)
Journal Paper –
- Siriwardana HVYD, Karunanayake P, Goonerathne L, Karunaweera ND (2017). Emergence of visceral leishmaniasis in Sri Lanka: a newly established health threat. Pathogens and Global Health 111(6): 317-326. DOI 10.1080/20477724.2017.1361564. Online link http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/20477724.2017.1361564.
- Karunanayake L, Karunanayake SAAP, Perera KCR, Senarath U, Gunarathna HDNT, Peter D (2016). Demographic, clinical and bacteriological characteristics of human leptospirosis in Sri Lanka: a retrospective study. Journal of Bacteriology and Mycology 3(2): id1028 (ISSN 2471-0172)
- Weeratunga P, Rathnayake G, Sivashangar A, Karunanayake P, Gnanathasan A, Chang T (2016). Plasmodium falciparum and Mycoplasma pneumoniae co-infection presenting with cerebral malaria manifesting orofacial dyskinesia and haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. BMC Malaria Journal 15: 461 (doi 10.1186/s12936-016-1517-x)
- Weerakkody RM, Palangasinghe DR, Dalpatadu KPC, Rankothkumbura JP, Cassim MRN, Karunanayake P (2014). Dengue fever in a liver-transplanted patient: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 8: 378 (doi 10.1186/1752-19478-378) (8 citations)
- Withana M, Rodrigo C, Chang T, Karunanayake P, Rajapakse S (2014). Dengue fever presenting with acute cerebellitis: a case report. BMC Research Notes 7: 125 (doi 10.1186/1756-0500-7-125) (6 citations)
- Shivanthan CM, Perera H, Jayasinghe S, Karunanayake P, Chang T, Ruwanpathirana S, Jayasinghe N, De Silva Y, Jayaweerabandara D (2013). Hydrogen sulphide inhalational toxicity at a petroleum refinery in Sri Lanka: a case series of seven survivors following an industrial accident and a brief review of medical literature. Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology 2013, 8: 9. (doi: 10.1186/1745-6673-8-9) (10 citations)
- Nuwan Ranawaka, Vijayabala Jeevagan, Panduka Karunanayake and Saroj Jayasinghe (2013). Pancreatitis and myocarditis followed by pulmonary hemorrhage, a rare presentation of leptospirosis: a case report and literature survey. BMC Infectious Diseases 13: 38 (doi:10.1186/1471-2334-13-38) (14 citations)
- Gamakaranage C, Rodrigo C, Samarawickrama S, Wijayaratne D, Jayawardane M, Karunanayake P, Jayasinghe S (2012). Dengue hemorrhagic fever and severe thrombocytopenia in a patient on mandatory anticoagulation: balancing two life threatening conditions. A case report. BMC Infectious Diseases 12: 272 (doi:10.1186/1471-2334-12-272) (7 citations)
- Perera YS, Ranasinghe P, Adikari AMMC, Welivita WDTS, Perera WME, Wijesundara WMDR, Karunanayake SAAP, Constantine GR (2011). The value of the Modified Early Warning Score and biochemical parameters as predictors of patient outcome in acute medical admissions: a prospective study. Acute Medicine 10(3): 126-132. (20 citations)
- Perera WASN, Karunanayake P and Dias D (2009). UCFM Travel Health Clinic: concept and design. Conference Proceedings of the 27th National IT Conference, Colombo, Sri Lanka, November 2009. pp 260-264 (ISBN: 978-955-9155-17-1).
- Wijesundere A, Karunanayake P, Athukorala I, Jayasekara K (2005). Imported quinine resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Sri Lanka. Ceylon Medical Journal 50: 125-6
- Dassanayake AS, Karunanayake SAAP, Kasturiratne KTAA, Fonseka MMD, Wijesiriwardena B, Gunatilake SB, de Silva HJ (2002). Safety of subcutaneous adrenaline as prophylaxis against acute adverse reactions to anti-venom serum in snakebite. Ceylon Medical Journal 47: 48-49 (22 citations)
- Karunanayake SAAP, Hewage UCL, Fernando DJS, Sheriff MHR (2000). Blood pressure measurement by final year medical students. Ceylon Medical Journal 45: 90-91
- Karunanayake SAAP, Wijesekara JC (2000). Congenital craniocervical anomaly masquerading as motor neurone disease. Journal of the Ceylon College of Physicians 33: 44-47
- Seneviratne RJK, Pallemulla N, Karunanayake P, Perera AR, Sanderson R (1997). Prediction of Helicobacter pylori infection among patients who presented with dyspeptic symptoms by using modified Hollanders test and urease test. GMOA Medical Journal 1: 64
- MB BS Clinical Science Stream: Clinical Medicine.
- MB BS Applied Science Stream: Infectious Diseases, Poisoning.
- MB BS Behavioral Science Stream: Ethics, Clinical Decision-making, Learning in the clinical setting.
- MB BS Community Stream: Research ethics.
- BSc Physiotherapy Applied Science Stream: Medical disorders of the liver and biliary tract.
- BSc Physiotherapy Behavioral Science Stream: Ethics, Teamwork in the clinical setting.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Development
- Postgraduate Institute of Medicine:
- Clinical teaching: MD Medicine trainer in general medicine.
- Professionalism Stream: Ethics.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Physiology.
- Postgraduate Diploma/Master of Arts in Sociology: Medical sociology.
- Faculty of Graduate Studies:
- Introduction to the MPhil/PhD program: Research ethics.
- 2015: Commencement lecture, BA special degree in Buddhist Studies: ‘Education and knowledge: an anthropological approach’ (in Sinhala)
- 2015: Resource person and panelist for the workshop ‘Ethics in Academic Research and University Teaching’ organized by Staff Development Centre, University of Colombo
- 2016: Panelist and speaker, seminar on ‘Ethics’, induction programme for new entrants to the Faculty of Arts
- Clinical medicine.
- Infectious disease.
- Medical ethics.
- Medical sociology.
- 1992-1993: Temporary Demonstrator in Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya.
- 2002-2005: Lecturer in Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo.
- 2005 to date: Senior Lecturer in Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo.
BLOG/ NEWS & ARTICLES
- Writings on health-related matters:
- 2007: ‘Dengue, chikungunya and CMC’ The Island (20 January 2007)
- 2007: ‘Epidemics and the CMC: reply’ The Island (31 January 2007)
- 2009: ‘What does the chikungunya pandemic tell us?’ Daily Mirror (12 January 2009)
- 2011: ‘Medicine policy: frozen in time?’ The Nation (13 November 2011)
- 2012: ‘Malaria: learning from the past’ The Nation (8 and 15 April 2012)
- 2009: ‘Doctor, can I have a second opinion?’ The Nation (5 July 2009)
- 2009: ‘Why has dengue hit us so hard?’ The Nation (19 July 2009)
- Writings on ethics:
- 2011: ‘Clinical trials: cart before horse?’ The Nation (25 December 2011)
- 2012: ‘The banal face of medical research’ The Nation (22 January 2012)
- 2012: ‘Clinical trials: descending on the (bio-)masses’ The Nation(26 February 2012)
- 2012: ‘Global clinical trials: effective participant protection must be ensured. The Island (07 September 2012)
- 2015: Research without ethics: the looming danger. Ceylon Daily News (25 April 2015)
- Writings on education, higher education and universities:
- 2007: ‘The university and society: to tango or not?’ The Island: Midweek Review (part 1: 8 August 2007, part 2: 15 August 2007)
- 2008: ‘On economic misconceptions about university education: a response to RMB Senanayake.’ The Island (8 September 2008)
- 2009: ‘An ‘indigenous model’ of university privatisation’ The Nation (28 June 2009)
- 2009: ‘Science in medicine: a response to Prof S.N. Arseculeratne’ The Island: Midweek Review (22 July 2009)
- 2010: ‘Goodbye, Dr Kannangara’ The Island: Midweek Review (23 June 2010)
- 2010: ‘Royal College at 175: Has it outlived its usefulness to the nation?’ The Sunday Island (18 July 2010)
- 2011: ‘Promoting research in our universities: a critical examination’ The Island: Midweek Review (09 and 23 March 2011)
- 2011: ‘Academics’ income, universities and economics: unraveling the word play’ <http://uteachers.blogspot.com/2011/09/academics-income-universities-and.html>
- 2013: ‘Reforming education: the answer is outside education.’ The Island (20 February 2013)
- 2014: ‘The UCFM, through the eyes of an NCMC student.’ Glimpses of Time published by the Colombo Medical School Alumni Association
- 2015: ‘Lankan universities require ‘indigenous’ privatization.’ Ceylon Daily News (12 November 2015)
- 2016: ‘In the face of privatized education.’ Ceylon Daily News (18 January 2016)
- 2017: ‘Re-examining the political role of education: a response to Dr. Harini Amarasuriya.’ Daily Mirror (22 February 2017)
- Writings on general policy:
- 2009: ‘A different view of the public sector’ The Bottom Line (16 December 2009)
- 2010: ‘Agriculture and economic development: a response to Sumanasiri Liyanage’ The Island (26 October 2010)
- 2015: ‘Mayadunne and the intellectual’s dilemma’ Ceylon Daily News (11 September 2015)
- Writings in DocTalk series (The Nation):
Old ‘DocTalk’ series (The Nation):
- 2009: ‘Doctor, can I have a second opinion?’ (5 July 2009)
- 2009: ‘Why has dengue hit us so hard?’ (19 July 2009)
New ‘DocTalk’ series (The Nation):
- 2011: ‘Medicine policy: frozen in time?’ (13 November 2011)
- 2011: ‘Clinical trials: cart before horse?’ (25 December 2011)
- 2012: ‘The banal face of medical research’ (22 January 2012)
- 2012: ‘Clinical trials: descending on the (bio-)masses’ (26 February 2012)
- 2012: ‘Malaria: learning from the past’ (8 and 15 April 2012)
- 2013: ‘A must-see-once, even for the serious cineaste’ (Film review: Samanala Sandhwaniya by Jayantha Chandrasiri. IMDb website)
- 2014: ‘A skillful director’s maiden effort’ (Film review: Hansa Vilak’ by Dharmasiri Bandaranayake. IMDb website)
- 2014: ‘Trojan Kanthavo: the artist’s tryst with destiny’ (Drama review: Trojan Kanthavo by Dharmasiri Bandaranayake). The Sunday Island (15 November 2014)
- 2014: ‘Entertaining, but not deep’ (Film review: Thanha Rathi Ranga by Nilendra Deshapriya. IMBd website)
- 2013: ‘How ‘reform’ messed up education’ (Book Review: Politics of Education Reform and Other Essays by Eric J. de Silva.). The Island (26 November 2013)
- 2016: ‘Enter Norway the third party: A book that is topical even in post-war years’ (Book review: Peaceful Intervention in Intra-state Conflicts: Norwegian Involvement in the Sri Lankan Peace Process by Chanaka Talpahewa). The Sunday Times (13 March 2016)
- 2016: ‘A book of a lifetime’ (Book review: Essays of a Lifetime by Carlo Fonseka) The Ceylon Daily News (18 April 2016)