In order to accept an application for ethics review, at least one of the investigators must belong to at least one of the following categories:
- A member of the permanent academic staff of the University of Colombo (including probationary staff), or a person who had retired from a permanent academic staff position in the University of Colombo
- A member of the extended faculty of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo (UCFM), which consists of consultants in the teaching hospitals and institutions attached to the UCFM. These hospitals include the National Hospital of Sri Lanka and the Colombo Group of Hospitals, Infectious Diseases Hospital and National Cancer Institute Maharagama. These institutions include National Blood Transfusion Service Narahenpita, Family Health Bureau and Epidemiology Unit.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of the University of Colombo
- Trainers and trainees of the Postgraduate Institute of Medicine (PGIM), University of Colombo
- A researcher who is conducting the research project on behalf of any of the institutions with which the UCFM has, on behalf of the ERC, entered into a memorandum of understanding (MOU). These institutions include GlaxoWellcome Ceylon Limited, Genetech Research Institute and National Cancer Control Programme.
- A researcher who is conducting the research project on behalf of the Ministry of Health