The Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo offers postgraduate research programmes leading to the award of degree of Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) and Doctor of Medicine (D.M.). The programmes require the conduct of research in selected areas of study.
- An internal candidate shall carry out a major part of his/her work in the University of Colombo and may be full-time or part-time. Such candidates should be attached to a Unit or a Department of the University of Colombo.
- An external candidate shall be carrying out a major part of his/her work in an institution outside the University of Colombo and may be full-time or part-time. In the case of an external candidate, at least one supervisor must be from the University of Colombo.
- Applications are entertained throughout the year. Application for enrollment must be made in the prescribed forms obtained either from the Dean’s office, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo or downloaded from the website. (Application form).
- The candidate is expected to link up with a potential supervisor/s, choose an appropriate topic and prepare a detailed research proposal and submit it together with the duly completed application forms, in triplicate, through the potential supervisor/s, Head of the relevant Department and the Dean to the RHDC. A Summary of the research proposal, of not more than 500 words, should also be submitted along with the application. A candidate who is unable to link up with a supervisor may write to the Dean requesting assistance.
- The candidate should also obtain the approval of an Ethics Committee for the study prior to applying for registration. The Faculty may request the candidate to obtain the approval from the Ethics Committee of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo
For more details – please refer the “REGULATIONS FOR THE AWARD OF HIGHER DEGREES BY RESEARCH” (Hard-copies are available with Ms. Malkanthi Fernando, Dean’s Office – + 94 112695300 Ext. 103, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org