The Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, has been conducting a course leading to Diploma in Forensic Medicine and Science. The course is offered to lawyers, who would be in a position to benefit from an advanced knowledge of all branches of Forensic Medicine & Science.
It is designed to suit even a busy lawyer who can spare a few hours during the weekend to attend lectures, seminars and practical demonstrations.
The main objective of the course is to provide up-to-date, advanced and relevant knowledge in Forensic Medicine and Science to members of the legal profession
- to enable them to have a better understanding of the interface between law and forensic medicine and science and
- to be better equipped to evaluate and consider expert medical and scientific evidence for expeditious and efficient administration of justice.
At the completion of the course the diplomates would,
- Know relevant medical and scientific terms and usages commonly occurring in reports, evidence and literature, and the law relevant to legal medicine and forensic sciences.
- Understand the meanings of relevant technical terms and phrases, and be able to use them in communicating ideas in situations where these have a bearing on the interpretation of the law, and in the effective dispensation of justice.
- Develop the skill of interpreting medical and forensic science reports and documents, and be able to handle expert evidence effectively.
- Know, and be able to utilize medical and scientific evidence, and also know and be sensitive to their limitations.
- Develop attitudes of team spirit in the investigation of crime and dispensation of Justice, respect towards expertise, and build healthy interactional relationships with expert and professional witnesses.
- Understand the nature of specified practical procedures and be able to utilize the findings/opinions regarding them in procedures of investigation, litigation and dispensation of justice.
- Duration: 12 months & 3 months for dissertation writing
- Credit Hours: 100
- SQLF level: 3
- Prcticing Lowyers and those who have first degree in Law
- An interview and /or an entry examination may be held to select candidates
- An examination leading to Diploma in Forensic Medicine and Science will be held at the end of the course for those who successfully complete the course.
- All candidates should submit a dissertation consisting of 6000 – 8000 words
- Essay examination: 50% & Dissertation: 50%
- The participants who successfully complete the course will be awarded a certificate of participation, if requested with 80% attendance.
- Internal: 60%
- External: 40%
- Course Fee: Rs. 120,000/-
- Application Fee: Rs. 1,000/-
- Examination Fee: Rs. 5,000/-
By paying Rs. 1000/= from any branch of Peoples Bank to be credited to the University of Colombo under the ref. No. 3110 5220 0000. Please submit the paying-in slip to the Department when you are submitting your complete application form
Mrs. Apsara Liyanage (Course Manager/DFMS)
Department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology
+94 112 694 016 ext. 148 / 149