The Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, has been conducting a course leading to Diploma in Forensic Medicine and Science. The course is offered to lawyers, who would be in a position to benefit from an advanced knowledge of all branches of Forensic Medicine & Science.
It is designed to suit even a busy lawyer who can spare a few hours during the weekend to attend lectures, seminars and practical demonstrations.
The main objective of the course is to provide up-to-date, advanced and relevant knowledge in Forensic Medicine and Science to members of the legal profession
- to enable them to have a better understanding of the interface between law and forensic medicine and science and
- to be better equipped to evaluate and consider expert medical and scientific evidence for expeditious and efficient administration of justice.
At the completion of the course the diplomates would,
- Know relevant medical and scientific terms and usages commonly occurring in reports, evidence and literature, and the law relevant to legal medicine and forensic sciences.
- Understand the meanings of relevant technical terms and phrases, and be able to use them in communicating ideas in situations where these have a bearing on the interpretation of the law, and in the effective dispensation of justice.
- Develop the skill of interpreting medical and forensic science reports and documents, and be able to handle expert evidence effectively.
- Know, and be able to utilize medical and scientific evidence, and also know and be sensitive to their limitations.
- Develop attitudes of team spirit in the investigation of crime and dispensation of Justice, respect towards expertise, and build healthy interactional relationships with expert and professional witnesses.
- Understand the nature of specified practical procedures and be able to utilize the findings/opinions regarding them in procedures of investigation, litigation and dispensation of justice.
- Duration: 12 months
- Attorneys at law and those who have a first degree in Law
- An interview may be held to select candidates
- Interactive Lectures online as well as onsite
- Workshops on crime scene investigation, disaster victim identification, and gender-based violence.
- Seminars and webinars on death investigation systems, expert medical witness, death in custody, and torture.
- Small group demonstrations of Post- Mortem Examinations and mock exhumations.
- Mock-trial and other role plays.
- Hands-on demonstrations of skulls and other skeletal remains, human organs
- Medium of instructions – English
- In-course continuous assessments will comprise of assignments and quizzes.
- The final examination leading to Diploma in Forensic Medicine and Science will be held at the end of the course for those who successfully complete the course.
- The examination consists of multiple-choice questions and short answer questions.
- The participants who successfully complete the course with 80% attendance will be awarded a certificate of participation if requested.
- Internal: 60%
- External: 40%
- Application Fee: Rs. 1,000/-
- Registration Fee: Rs. 10,000/-
- Course Fee: Rs. 140,000/-
- Examination Fee: Rs. 5,000/-
* The course fee of Rs 140,000/- could be paid in 3 installments of Rs. 80,000/- Initial payment, and two subsequent installments of 30,000/- each.
* Online payment facility through debit/credit card is available.
* Application fee can be made at any Peoples Bank branch or online using pay.cmb.ac.lk in account of Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo using the application code – 311052400008.