The Degree of Master of Philosophy(MPhil) is a research based degree program conducted by the Research & Higher Degrees Committee (RHDC), Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo.
- In ante erat, sodales at auctor eget, fringilla sed augue.
- Proin vel metus volutpat, lacinia elit ac, consectetur dui.
- Vivamus at justo sed sem aliquam rutrum.
- Quisque egestas ipsum eget libero maximus feugiat eget sed neque.
- Aliquam blandit viverra scelerisque. Aliquam eu eleifend felis.
- Nullam id arcu imperdiet, imperdiet quam suscipit, placerat lectus. Vestibulum luctus turpis sit amet vehicula dictum.
- The candidate is required to pursue an approved programme of full- time research for a minimum period of 2 years after registration, up to a maximum period of 3 ½ years for completing all aspects of the M. Phil. Examination.
- The minimum period of study for a candidate engaging in part-time research is 3 years and the maximum period is 5 years.
- In special circumstances, if the candidate is unable to complete the programme of research within the stipulated period, an extension of one year at a time may be granted by the Senate on the recommendation of the RHDC and the Faculty Board, provided that not more than two such extensions are allowed.
- Those candidates who have availed of the two extensions must submit the thesis for examination at least 6 months before the period allowed expires.
A candidate must have,
- Obtained the degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) or a Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field OR
- Other equivalent qualifications as may be recommended by the RHDC for approval by the Faculty Board.
- Applications are entertained throughout the year. Application for enrolment must be made in the prescribed forms obtained either from the Dean’s office, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo or downloaded from the website. (Application form).
- The candidate is expected to link up with a potential supervisor/s, choose an appropriate topic and prepare a detailed research proposal and submit it together with the duly completed application forms, in triplicate, through the potential supervisor/s, Head of the relevant Department and the Dean to the RHDC. A Summary of the research proposal, of not more than 500 words, should also be submitted along with the application. A candidate who is unable to link up with a supervisor may write to the Dean requesting assistance.
- The candidate should also obtain the approval of an Ethics Committee for the study prior to applying for registration. The Faculty may request the candidate to obtain the approval from the Ethics Committee of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo
Ms. Malkanthi Fernando
Research & Higher Degrees Committee
+94 695 300 ext. 103