Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety is a 12 moths/ 20 credit hours program conducted by the Department of Community Medicine. The program has been designed for the qualified candidates who are either graduates, Certificate Holders or has a minimum of two years experience in an industrial/ work setting.
- To develop knowledge, skills, attitudes and competencies relevant and necessary for the promotion and maintenance of occupational health and safety in the workplace.
- To develop the ability to plan, implement, monitor and evaluate activities that will promote and maintain health, safety and welfare of workers.
Should fulfill one of the following requirement
- Basic degree from a recognized University
- Applicants who have successfully completed the Certificate Course in Occupational Health and Safety conducted by the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo and scored 65% and above at the end of course examination and followed by three (3) years of work experience in the field of occupational health and safety.
- Passes in three subjects at the GCE(A/L) examination at one sitting with five (5) years of work experience in the field of occupational health and safety will qualify a person to apply for the course. A minimum of two (2) years experience in an industrial / work setting.
Essay writing on a given topic to assess English writing skills and interview
Average number of students per batch: 10 – 12
- Lecture / discussion
- Interactive learning sessions
- Case studies
- Assignments (individual & group)- reports, class room assignments
- Visits to work places
- Student presentations
- Video presentations
- Laboratory sessions
- The evaluation will be based on assignments given during the course and an end of course examination which consists of a Structured Essay Examination (SEQ) and an Objective Structured Practical Examination (OSPE). Marks from the above three components will contribute to the final mark as follows,
- Assignment: 30%
- SEQ: 40%
- OSPE: 30%
- A candidate to successfully complete the course will have to obtain a minimum of 40% in all three components and also a minimum of 50% in the overall mark.
- Candidates who successfully complete the course will be awarded the Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety, by the University of Colombo.
- academia from the Department of Community Medicine, other departments & other universities
- Experts in the field from the Departments of Health
- Ministry of Environment
- Private sector consultants with relevant training and expertise
- Registration Fee: Rs.10,000/-
- Course Fee: Rs. 125,000/-
- Examination Fee: Rs. 15,000/-
- Total Fee: Rs. 150,000/-
- Application Fee : Rs. 250/-
Dr Dulani Samaranayake (Course Director)
Department of Community Medicine,
Faculty of Medicine,
+94 112 600 395 ext. 142