Master of Science in Molecular Pathology is a 2 years, 60 credits program conducted by Human Genetics Unit of Faculty of Medicine. The degree will be awarded by the University of Colombo. The program aims to develop knowledge, skills, and attitudes required by medical and science graduates to deliver the latest genetic diagnostics services.
By the end of this course students must have the requisite knowledge, skills and attitudes that would enable them to have a working knowledge of,
- Molecular technologies including polymerase chain reaction (PCR), real-time PCR, reverse transcription PCR (RT-PCR), allele-specific PCR (AS-PCR), restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP), multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification (MLPA), conventional and Next Generation Sequencing including Whole Exome Sequencing, and array based DNA technologies.
- Cytogenetics including terminology, karyotyping, fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and array comparative genomic hybridization (array-CGH).
- Clinical applications of cytogenetics such as prenatal diagnosis, identification of congenital abnormalities, and diagnosis and monitoring of malignancy.
- Interpretation of molecular and cytogenetic data from clinical cases and compose diagnostic reports, in correlation with clinical, morphologic, and other findings.
- Pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomics.
- Quality assurance, assay validation, ethics, regulatory issues, professionalism, and lab administration
- Applicants should have a MBBS or equivalent degree registered with the Sri Lanka Medical Council.
- Foreign applicants should have a MBBS or equivalent degree registered with the Medical Council of the country of residence of the applicant.
- B.Sc. in a Biomedical Sciences Subject or equivalent degree.
- Students are selected on the basis of their performance at a selection examination which has a written component and an interview.
- The written component contributes 75% and the interview contributes 25% to the total mark.
- Students who obtain an overall mark of 50% or more will qualify for selection.
The Course of study shall consist of four semesters of 15 weeks duration spanning two years and is designed to provide a broad base training in molecular pathology. It would be delivered by a local and international faculty using a mix of open and distance learning methods.
The assessments would consist of written and practical assessments in module 1 to 7A and carrying out a research project, writing a dissertation and defense of the dissertation at a viva.
Academic staff of the Human Genetics Unit/Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo & other extended Faculty.
- Application Fee: Rs. 5,000
- Those who are selected for the course, the following fees will apply,
- Registration Fee: Rs. 25,000
- Course Fee: Rs. 800,000
- Library Fee: Rs. 2,500
Dr. Dulika Sumathipala
Department of Anatomy, Genetics & Biomedical Informatics
+94 112 695300