Master of Sexual Health
Sexual health is an integral component of preventive health and gender equality, both in Sri Lanka and the rest of the world.
In many settings, sexual health needs are neither ascertained nor appropriately managed.
We aim to empower & train candidates to identify & meet the sexual health needs of the individual and of society.
To train and empower a cadre of health care workers who will be effective at identifying, managing and appropriately referring on for specialist input, the sexual health needs of the individual and of society
- To discuss the basic sciences related to sexual medicine
- To analyse the multifaceted dimensions of sexuality
- To critique societal attitudes towards gender identity, sexual orientation and sexual citizenship
- To compare and contrast societal norms, sexual health needs and sexual based anxieties in different groups of society
- To distinguish individuals in society at risk of stigma, sexual abuse/ exploitation
- To manage problems and concerns related to family planning
- To manage problems and concerns related to sexually transmitted infections
- To evaluate the multifactorial aetiology of sexual dysfunction in order to manage psychosexual aspects of it
- To manage problematic sexuality (paraphilia, deviation, fetishism, forensic aspects)
- To engage health promotion and advocacy with an understanding of the ethical, legal and policy framework pertaining to sexual and reproductive health and rights
- To independently design and conduct a research study based on primary/secondary data or evidence synthesis and report the findings
- Course 1: Reproductive structure and function
- Course 2: Psychological dimensions of human sexuality
- Course 3: Communication skills workshops
- Course 4: Gender roles and dimensions
- Course 5: Sexual based anxieties and societal norms
- Course 6: Family planning and fertility
- Course 7: Sexually transmitted infections
- Course 8: Problematic sexuality
- Course 9: Management of sexual dysfunction- theory
- Course 10: Management of sexual dysfunction- workshops
- Course 11: Law, policy and education related to sexual and reproductive health
- Course 12: Independent guided research project
- We welcome applications from a wide range of candidates including General practitioners, Ministry of Health doctors (O&G, family medicine, community health, psychiatry, venereology), nurses, mid-wives, psychologists, health administrators, lawyers & NGO personnel specializing in sexual & reproductive health & rights (SRHR)
- First degree (BA/BSc/MBBS) from recognized university in a health-related field or field relevant to sexual health
- A qualification equivalent to National Vocational Qualifications framework level 7 in a relevant field with one year work experience in a health-related setting relevant to sexual health
- Should be seeing/having access to patients/clients with sexual health needs throughout duration of program
- Part-time, 2 years duration, mostly on weekends, online as well as multiple on-site training workshops.
- English medium.
- Individualized feedback in small teaching groups.
- Rs 300,000 in 3 installments (+ Rs 59,500 for application, registration, online learning platform, library & examination fees)
Dr Neesha Rockwood – Course Director/ Programme Coordinator
Phone: +94 112 697 513