Scientific discoveries of modern sports and exercise science have evolved with the time and stabilized as a well-recognize discipline. Sports and Exercise Science is the application of scientific principles to sports and exercise training, with the aim of improving sports performance, development and supporting recreational exercising public.
This program is designed to develop the intellectual capacities and personal qualities as well as to acquire a broad range of practical, professional and employability skills that can be applied to a range of future career paths.
With the completion of the post graduate diploma the graduates,
- should be able to demonstrate clear understanding of theoretical knowledge in Sports and Exercise Science.
- should be able to critically evaluate the current issues in the subject area.
- should apply advanced techniques and skills relevant to their professional practice in the field of study.
- should be able to deal with complex issues systematically and creatively, and make sound judgments and communicate decisions clearly to others.
- should demonstrate self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems and be able to plan and implement tasks independently in a professional manner.
- should demonstrate understanding of basic research concepts and their implementation.
- should develop personal attributes to become lifelong learners
- Duration: 1 year
- Credit Hours: 30
- SLQF level:
A person who satisfies any one of the following qualifications is eligible for applying to enroll in the programme,
- Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university acceptable to the Faculty Board of Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo in a field relevant to subject matter of the post graduate diploma.
- Any other bachelor’s degree from a recognized university acceptable to the Faculty Board of Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo with one year’s work experience relevant to the subject matter of the postgraduate diploma.
- Qualification equivalent to National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ) Framework level 7, in a field relevant to subject matter of the post graduate diploma acceptable to the Faculty Board of Faculty of Medicine University of Colombo with one year’s work experience relevant to the subject matter of the postgraduate diploma.
- Obtaining at least 50% marks at the competency assessment examination and an interview conducted by Faculty of Medicine University of Colombo.
Course participants will be selected based on the qualifications, performance at an interview and a competency assessment examination (computer literacy and English knowledge) conducted by Faculty of Medicine University of Colombo.
- Online lectures
- online tutorials
- online discussion forums
- interactive learning sessions
- case studies
- lab and field based practical class room assignments
- lab and gymnasium based practical sessions
- visits to workplaces
- student presentations
- video presentations
The candidate’s knowledge and skills acquired from the modules will be assessed through individual assignments and end of course examination.
- To pass an assignment an applicant will have to obtain a minimum mark of 50%. In the event of not being successful, the applicants will have to repeat the particular assignment within 3 months.
- Applicants will have to pass all assignments to be eligible to sit end of course examination.
End of Course Examination
- The End of Course Examination will be at the end of the first year and shall comprise of a theory paper and with MCQ and Essay Questions.
- To pass the End of year examination the applicant will have to score a minimum of 50%.
- If an applicant fails to achieve the minimum mark he/she will have to sit the repeat examination. Only one repeat examination would be conducted.
- Course Fee: Rs. 150,000
- Application Fee: Rs. 2,000
- Registration Fee: Rs. 5,500
- Examination Fee: Rs. 10,000
- Library Fee: Rs. 2,500
Department of Allied Health Sciences
+94 112 629 712