Contribution to MBBS
The Department of Anatomy involves in academic activities of Basic Sciences Stream (BScS) under MBBS program, in which the basic structure of the human body is studied as follows,
- Gross Anatomy – Learning the naked eye arrangement of tissues in relation to their functions.
- Microscopic Anatomy – Study of the microscopic arrangement of tissues in relation to their functions.
- Embryology – Learning the processes of development of a human from fertilization to birth.
- Neuroanatomy – study of the structural organization of the nervous system.
- Genetics – Study of the basic concepts in genetics.
The methods of teaching include, lectures, tutorials, gross anatomy and neuroanatomy dissections, visits to the Anatomy Resource Centre and microscopic anatomy practicals.
Students are evaluated at the end of each term. The assessments consist of Multiple Choice Questions[MCQs], Structured Essay Questions[SEQs] and an Objectively Structured Practical Examination[OSPE]. The main examination is held at the end of the third term. This includes an MCQ paper, an SEQ paper and a Viva Voce examination. Distinctions and a Gold Medal are awarded at the end of this examination.