Medical elective is a short term programme that has designed for medical students as a primary experience before the career. Facilitating spaces for international students for short term electives is the main objective in this programme.
The fundamental goal of an elective is to reduce the stress of studies. Students are exposed to the broad field medical education, research and development in medical science and the role of physician as teacher in undergraduate as well as in postgraduate during elective placements. They will be getting the benefit of developing their clinical skills, the humanities, life styles, professional life as well as personal life management, and specialties in specific areas they are interested in.As well as international Students are getting an opportunity to work with different people, identify the diversity of diseases and to observe different healthcare systems in Sri Lanka as a developing county
- The clinical experience in Professorial Units (University Units) is vast with a multitude of clinical material as in-ward and clinic patients.
- National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Lady Ridgeway Hospital for Children, De Soysa Hospital for Women and Castle Street Hospital for Women) serve as the main teaching hospitals for the medical students; Provide teaching for final year undergraduates and postgraduates through the Professorial Units located within them which also provide in-ward and clinic care.
- Referral laboratories such as renal research laboratory, cytogenetic diagnostic laboratories, malaria research unit and immune-histo chemistry laboratories are located in the Faculty.
- Judicial work within the Colombo JMO area, genetic counseling and drug information service are some of the special services performed by the Faculty.
- There is a University Health Project area for field based teaching on preventive medicine to give an exposure to students on the provision of maternal and child health care, disease surveillance and other public health services.
- A wide range of clinical, para-clinical and laboratory services are delivered to the patients by the staff of the academic departments.
- The Faculty has acclaimed world-wide recognition for medical research.
The elective programme at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo is administered by the International Unit, for students currently registered for a medical or allied health science degree in an overseas university or medical school.
- All departments expect that the prospective elective student should possess basic knowledge and prior experience in the discipline in which he/she has applied to do an elective.
- Clinical departments offer electives for medical students who are in their 3rd year or above.
- Pre and para clinical departments offer electives for all students.
- Physiotherapy department offers electives for physiotherapy students.
Minimum processing time takes 2 – 3 months.
Please ensure you apply 3 months prior to your intended elective date.
Electives will not be conducted during the vacation period: last week of December, first week of January, second and third weeks of April.
- Maximum duration in one department:
- Clinical Medicine –4 weeks
- Surgery – 8 weeks
- Other departments – 6 weeks
- Minimum duration in one department – 2 weeks (some departments 1 week)
- Maximum duration for entire elective – 3 months