To be a leader in education, diagnostic services and research in pathology, in South Asia.
he mission of the Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Colombo, is to produce medical graduates, post graduates & health related personnel who are able to link the cause and effects of disease and to apply this knowledge in providing optimal patient care to the individual and the community with competence, compassion and care.
It will achieve excellence in the fields of diagnostic histopathology, haematology and chemical pathology, with provision of expertise in areas of super specialization.
The department will provide leadership in research, policy formulation and quality assurance in pathology by maintaining an environment of inquiry and continuous self-evaluation.
We will fulfill our mission in a spirit of shared responsibilities and team work in a happy working environment.
Professors of Pathology
- To achieve excellent standards in teaching and training of medical undergraduates, post graduates and health related personnel in pathology.
- To provide diagnostic services and conduct research in histopathology and haematology.
- To be a national referral centre for histopathogy and haematology diagnosis.
- To establish a telepathology diagnostic link with local and foreign centres of excellence.
- To play a leading role a provision of continuing professional development in pathology.
- To guide policy formulation regarding the training of pathologists, health related personnel and delivery of diagnostic services, in keeping with the health needs of the country.
- To develop and sustain quality assurance in education and diagnostic services in the field of pathology.
- To play an active role in health education of the community regarding prevention and early diagnosis of disease.
- To develop strategies for self-sustainability.
- To create an environment of shared responsibility and team spirit, whilst recognizing the need for individual development.