Contribution to MBBS
The Department staff conduct teaching activities for the undergraduates in the following four streams of the MBBS course.
- Applied Sciences Stream – Lectures, Practicals, Problem based learning sessions, Virtual Learning Environment, Clinical lecture demonstration, Team based learning sessions, Interdisciplinary activity
- Clinical Sciences Stream – Integrated ward classes
- Community Sciences Stream – Supervision of research projects
- Behavioral Sciences Stream – Small Group Teaching Activities
The Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), is situated in the Computer assisted learning laboratory and provides students the opportunity to integrate clinical and para clinical studies using specialized teaching software.
Special Awards are awarded to students who excel in pathology in the applied sciences stream.
- Loos Gold Medal for Pathology
- Professor Daphne Attygalle Medal for Pathology
- Distinction in Pathology – Dr. Harsha Dissanayake in 2012 (Most recent)
Contribution to BSc Physiotherapy
The Department staff also conduct lectures activities for the undergraduates in the BSc Physiotherapy degree.
The department is part of the National Hospital of Sri Lanka – Faculty of Medicine, Colombo postgraduate training cluster for the MD(Histopathology) and MD(Haematology) training programmes. At present a total of 26 histopathology and 25 haematology trainees at various stages of training are attached to the cluster, making it one of the largest postgraduate training centres in Pathology in the country. Each trainee undergoes a minimum of 5 years clinical training at the cluster followed by one-two years training at a centre of excellence overseas.
The department conducts an annual General Pathology Revision Workshop targeting candidates intending to sit for postgraduate examinations in Surgery, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Ophthalmology, Clinical Oncology, Pathology and Forensic Medicine.